Respected Contributor

I snip them off with tiny cuticle scissors. Clean scissors & tag with alcohol, snip, they bleed a lot, they heal & are gone.

Respected Contributor

I had several I could feel on my throat. When I was routinely using Paula's Choice BHA serum or whatever it is, they disappeared. When I switched regimens and wasn't using it, they started coming back.

It took a couple of months for them to go, and they weren't big to start with, but it might be worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Another way is to tie it tight at the base of the tag with dental floss (unflavored). That cuts off its blood supply and it dies, then just falls off (my sil does this and it works!).

Just keep the area clean. Throw  bandaid over it while it is suffocating.

No, I am not a doctor, do not yell at me Smiley Happy Google ways to remove skin tags. They are just an annoyance, some people get many, some never get any.

There are other suggestions online. Use your own intellect to decide if anything read online sounds like a viable way to remove them. Go to trustworthy medical websites.  But seriously, they can be removed easily.

After I was charged $100 to remove one at my Dermatologist office, I tried the thread.It worked just fine. Fell right off after a couple of days. 

PS - I just thought about this - I paid $100 to have the tag removed BUT I also had to pay a $100 co-pay for the Doctor's visit. One pricey skin tag.

Honored Contributor

If I can, I tie them off with dental floss and they fall off.  Right now I have a very large triple decker  one behind my right ear.  It is not noticable, but I know it is there.  I can't see it to tie off.

insurance considers it cosmetic surgery to have them removed unless they are painful, bleeding or irritated.

MY whole family is prone to getting them.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Another way is to tie it tight at the base of the tag with dental floss (unflavored). That cuts off its blood supply and it dies, then just falls off (my sil does this and it works!).

Just keep the area clean. Throw  bandaid over it while it is suffocating.

No, I am not a doctor, do not yell at me Smiley Happy Google ways to remove skin tags. They are just an annoyance, some people get many, some never get any.

There are other suggestions online. Use your own intellect to decide if anything read online sounds like a viable way to remove them. Go to trustworthy medical websites.  But seriously, they can be removed easily.

My internist actually recommended thread method. 

@IMW   Try getting a thread around a tag that's under your arm or along your back bra line, when you live alone.  Good luck with that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I had a couple years ago that I had removed by a dermatologist.  One was very big by the time I noticed it, in an unusual spot right where your upper leg meets your buttock, I guess you'd call it.  The doctor said they are a form of polyp.

A few years ago, I noticed one on my neck, just starting.  It was very tiny.  I took a chance and just snipped it off.  I felt nothing, and a tiny scab formed, and it was gone in a few days.  I'm glad I did that as I hate going to doctors, and yes, I probably would have paid a few hundred dollars for the pleasure.

They are unsightly and annoying.  I haven't had many, thank goodness.  What I am plagued with are those little red bumps, which are easily removed, but I just am getting so many. I'ved had those removed in the past too.

@blueroses47 my SIL get these....many....all over her face, neck, chest.  She was going in and have them removed over and over.  Her doctor told her this info too...there seems to be a connection if you get this many to also getting them in the colon.  She has to go in every 6months for colonoscopy to remove the polyps/skin tags there also.  

Honored Contributor

They are hereditary.  Some people get them as they age but babies are sometimes born with them.  They are considered cosmetic by insurers, unless they are in a sensitive area like the eyelids or around the eye.  

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I think they are heriditary, my grandmother had them. My insurance plan considers removing them as cosmetic so I had to pay $150 to have many removed. They were on my back and at the bra line, none on my face. It hurts when they "burn" them off. Oh, they come back so you have to put up with them until you decide to do it again.

Many insurance companies will cover them if your bra strap rubs against them and irritates them.  You appeal the denial with a letter of medical necessity from your doctor documenting wear the skin tag was located and that constant rubbing from the bra strap would irritation, bleeding, infection etc etc etc.   The same rationale for skin tags in the groin area, underwear could create problems.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Try a home remedy.  I have had luck with clear nail polish, and with wart remover.  (Not at the same time. . . do one.)

That makes sense since a skin tag is not a wart and it's not a finger nail.  At least you didn't cut it off, that's another silly home remedy that doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

They only come back again. And as we age we see more and more of them.  Just don't seem to be able to get the string in place for removal by myself.