Super Contributor

Going to get checked tomorrow... Left cheek sore... Tried saline spray - nothing works.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried a decongestant?

Super Contributor

Not a this time... See wha the doctor says...

Esteemed Contributor

In my early 30's I moved to Washington state and wham! Sinus problems. I didn't even know it was that as I never experienced it before. 3 years later and endless problems I had surgery. Now I am back in California, so between that and the surgery I have very little problems. Once in awhile I used a netti pot and that worked great. But I have sinced discover the Pure Mist device. That is great for the flare ups. Not to be gross but 5 minutes in I feel it draining.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I find warm compresses help.  

Respected Contributor

@hondagirl  I have often felt your pain.  If this has been an ongoing problem for you (mine started when I was 15), you may need a long term preventative nasal spray (steroid).  I started using Nasonex many years ago (prescription), and it keeps my sinuses open so I can breathe through my nose, and I have fewer problems with sinus infections because the airways are open.  There now is a generic for it, which I am using.......it's exactly the same as the name brand.

One other thing that has made a tremendous difference for me.  I don't just use a saline spray........ I actually irrigate my sinuses with warm saltwater 2-3 times every day.  I simply "snort" it into each nostril individually then release it into the sink through my mouth......at least 3 times on each side.  I know it sound gross, but it gets all that stuff out of there and also out of my throat.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I have this often - no drainage, but if I press under my eye and my cheek area - it is sore - I take a shot of Nyquil at night and it clears it up - I've tried sinus meds, everything.  Nyquil works for me.

Super Contributor

I used to get really bad sinus pain, and while meds from the doctor did stop the pain each time, they didn't stop it coming back.  I had a really bad episode on a plane once, due to the changes in cabin pressure.

And then one day my dentist decided I needed a root canal.  After that was done, no more sinus pain, ever.  Total cure.  I hadn't told my dentist about my sinus, and I hadn't told my doctor about the issues with that tooth; if I had, I think it could have been cleared up faster.

I know that's not what causes everyone else's sinus pain, but it cured mine.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried the Nasacort?   That helps me a lot.  I am ready to saw my nose off this year.  Terrible allergies.  

Respected Contributor

I have to use something like Flonase when it gets that bad. That kills my stomach so I use sparingly. Supposedly the steroid sprays won't work right away but it sure opens mine right up.