Honored Contributor

I was in the hospital earlier this month 12-31 to-1-8,(flu B and double pneumonia)  in a clean room and on oxygen, I complained while I was in the hospital, they x rayed my sinuses and it showed nothing.

Since I have come home my nose feels inflamed and I have a horrible headache.

I am going to see my allergist today for a follow up and I hope she can offer some advice to me. I would feel a whole lot better without the headache
Any word of wisdom from fellow board members

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

Perhaps low humidity....oxygen and dry air could possibly have dried out sinus and nasal passages.   Humidifier worth a try?????

Honored Contributor

@pianobabe159 

I have one sitting 10 feet away from me, my plants are loving it, but it is not doing much for my sinuses

@pianobabe159 wrote:

Perhaps low humidity....oxygen and dry air could possibly have dried out sinus and nasal passages.   Humidifier worth a try?????

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried a netti pot? I use one and it seems to help me get less infections. Do you take allergy meds? I take Allegra every day.

We are now in a cold spell and having the heat on will sometimes dry me out. Try and drink more liquids and maybe a warm compress.

Feel better!

Valued Contributor

I see that a neti pot was mentioned.

Also perhaps one of the saline sprays from the drug store.

As well make sure you are staying hydrated -- water is best.

Esteemed Contributor

Nasal saline solution may help.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Have you tried a netti pot? I use one and it seems to help me get less infections. Do you take allergy meds? I take Allegra every day.

We are now in a cold spell and having the heat on will sometimes dry me out. Try and drink more liquids and maybe a warm compress.

Feel better!

I prefer the NeilMed bottle to a Neti Pot because I think it's easier to use. However you choose to do it, nasal rinsing with a saline solutuion is really helpful.

Respected Contributor

I get painful sinus headaches from time to time...they always occur when a weather front is approaching.  Never have a stuffy or runny nose with them, just sharp pain behind my left brow bone.

It runs in my family.  My Dad got those headaches, as do several of my sibs, my son and one of my grandsons. 

Prior to menopause they turned into full blown migraines, but now they are managed with an over the counter pain reliever.

If you have stuffiness, I also recommend a neti pot.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried some Mentholatim in your nose to soothe your sinuses? Just a little works wonders for me. Best wishes on a healthier 2020.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Sinus Headache

[ Edited ]

I get them a lot because of my allergies.

I use a NeilMed MD Saline Rinse bottle to help rinse my sinus passages and clear out pollen and gunk. I find the bottle easier to use than a Neti Pot.

I like Mucinex Maximum Strength tablets to help thin out the post nasal drip.

I keep several bottles of oil mixtures around. I like Olbas oil, which contains peppermint, eucalyptus, cajeput, wintergreen, juniper and clove oils, to massage into my forehead, temples, and cheekbones. The oils don't cure anything, but they scents help. It's like an adult version of Vicks VapoRub and between the massage and the scent, it relieves some of the pain.

The other oils I use are either WEN's Tea Tree and Eucalyptus or a DIY version of tea tree and eucalyptus. Those I use to soak a Q-tip and then run around the inside of my nose to keep my nose from getting too dry and preventing nose bleeds. Jojoba oil alone works well if you want an unscented version. The humidifier helps a lot, but sometimes I need to go the extra mile to keep my nose from drying out and bleeding.