Honored Contributor

My DH has to take a statin drug for his high cholesterol. He has developed a raised rash on his face so he went to the dermatologist. The rash is most likely a combo of the Florida sun and the statin drug. Since he NEEDS the statin  she has placed him on a cream he has to apply to his face twice a day. She said it would get worse before it gets better. WELL - I never expected what has happened. His face is , literally, beet red. He says it burns terribly if he is in the sun for even a few min. He got a wide brim hat to wear, even when driving and even though we have tinted windows on the car. I don't really understand what this is supposed to do - his entire face is peeling, bright beet red color and painful. He called the doctor and the PA said that was to be expected. WTH? I think he goes back to see her next tuesday - I told him not to keep putting it on if it is hurting. It's like some sort of chemical peel. Just horrid.

Honored Contributor

Re: Simvastatin and skin issues

@151949I've been on Simvastatin for years.  I know for sure that I burn much faster and redder than I used to, but sleeves, longer pants, hats and sunscreen have (so far) kept me from your husband's fate. 

I've seen the caution about sun exposure in the massive list of possible negative reactions.  I've been good about staying out of the worst sun of the days especially when I'm near a pool or the ocean, but your post reminds me I have to use even more protection than I sometimes do.

Hope to hear someone has a solution for you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  I, too, live in Florida and take Simvastatin, along with my husband.  I take 40 mg. and he takes 10.  I am olive-skinned and he is fair.  We have never had a reaction like the kind you describe.  I have been taking it ever since my heart attack 30 years ago.

Maybe your husband is having an adverse reaction to that particular drug.  As a nurse, why dont' you either ask a Pharmacist about it or call the Cardiologist who prescribed it.  As a last resort, call the drug company and ask them if it's on their list of adverse reactions.  

By chance, did the Derm. prescribe Metrogel???  If so, I have a story about that.

Honored Contributor

@151949

As you know many have different statins have differing types of different side effects. Has he changed statins, or will his doctor prescribe a different statin? If that is the original source, it is just a thought.

I heard all kinds of differing effects with different heart patients. Having my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, the majority were on statin prescription. And there was a myriad of different side effects spoken in classes from many patients.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

He should probably go back to the doctor that originally prescribed the statin.

Honored Contributor

I'd be on the phone with the prescribing physician IMMEDIATELY.  He needs to know the reaction your husband is having.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I'd be on the phone with the prescribing physician IMMEDIATELY.  He needs to know the reaction your husband is having.  

I would NEVER really take such a drug. I would search high and low  for for other avenues to deal with the health issue before popping any station drug.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-simvastatin/article_em.htm

Valued Contributor

I've been on 20 mg of Simivastin for years and suddenly developed a raised rash on my face.  Now I know the cause and will speak with my physician. I hope your husband gets things straigtened out.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl My DH has been on it for years too but they recently had to increase the dose, and then the rash started.

Honored Contributor

It reminds me of the episode of Sex & the City when Samantha got the chemical peel and looked horrid.