Valued Contributor

Simply Fit balance board for back pain?

I injured my back in a fall and while it's getting better my core is weak from resting it.  If you bought the Simply Fit board and have back issues, do you find it has helped or hurt your back?

Honored Contributor

Re: Simply Fit balance board for back pain?

[ Edited ]

@Blondelle wrote:

I injured my back in a fall and while it's getting better my core is weak from resting it.  If you bought the Simply Fit board and have back issues, do you find it has helped or hurt your back?

Any diagnosis as to your back injury? In general, what helps backs from being injured and/or re-injured, are strong abdominal muscle groups, and flexibility in every muscle group on the rear side of your body.

Most important rear side muscle group for flexibility to protect the lower spine are the Spinal Erector Muscle Group. After that, #2 would be The Thigh Biceps Muscles also known as the Hamstring Muscles.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hurt my back about two months ago and, while I can't tell you about the balance board, I'll share what has and has not worked for me over the past several weeks.

I did purchase the Lo Bak from QVC (as is) and I think it is a wonderful piece of equipment depending on what kind of injury you have.  I think I had a low back strain or muscle tear and this actually prolonged my recovery because I was stretching the injured area and probably undoing some of the healing every day.  Finally figured that out and stopped but it does work quite well for stretching your back out if you do have disc issues or sciatica.  My pain masqueraded as that but it was actually hip bursitis which the Lo Bak does not help with.  If you have actual sciatica or a herniated disc, it is cleared for that purpose.  Just be sure you know what you have or you may delay your recovery.

I also purchased BackJoy.  Big thumbs up especially if you are looking to strengthen your abs.  That is the first thing I felt when using this is that it is a total ab workout if you have really weak ab muscles.  I have used it every day at work and in the car and I have the best ab results of my life going on right now and this was the kick start.  Still have a way to go but it makes your abs hold you in the right position while sitting and if you do a lot of that, it's definitely worth the investment.  I don't think I'll ever stop using it when I sit for extended periods of time.  

Lastly, BodyGym.  The exercise I do which looks like it is very similar to the Balance Board is to do an ab crunch with it.  You put your feet in the stirrups to hold the bottom in place and then wrap your hands around the bar and lean back.  The latex pulls you up so you aren't forcing all of your back muscles to do all the work for you.  The equipment helps which is nice when you are looking to protect but also strengthen.  It's kind of like having a helping hand while you are leaning back and then sitting up.  You can also adjust the tension just by rolling the bar and making it harder or easier depending on how you and your back feels that day.   Big thumbs up for this one too just for that one exercise alone.  I combine it with a row so I work my upper body too while doing the ab crunch.

I hope you feel better and back to normal soon.  I know back issues stink.  I was over it by the third week and really having a hard time after it stretched into the second month with no relief.  It's just not okay to not feel well and do what you used to do with no effort at all.  I hope you find what works for you.  Smiley Happy     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

I hurt my back about two months ago and, while I can't tell you about the balance board, I'll share what has and has not worked for me over the past several weeks.

I did purchase the Lo Bak from QVC (as is) and I think it is a wonderful piece of equipment depending on what kind of injury you have.  I think I had a low back strain or muscle tear and this actually prolonged my recovery because I was stretching the injured area and probably undoing some of the healing every day.  Finally figured that out and stopped but it does work quite well for stretching your back out if you do have disc issues or sciatica.  My pain masqueraded as that but it was actually hip bursitis which the Lo Bak does not help with.  If you have actual sciatica or a herniated disc, it is cleared for that purpose.  Just be sure you know what you have or you may delay your recovery.

I also purchased BackJoy.  Big thumbs up especially if you are looking to strengthen your abs.  That is the first thing I felt when using this is that it is a total ab workout if you have really weak ab muscles.  I have used it every day at work and in the car and I have the best ab results of my life going on right now and this was the kick start.  Still have a way to go but it makes your abs hold you in the right position while sitting and if you do a lot of that, it's definitely worth the investment.  I don't think I'll ever stop using it when I sit for extended periods of time.  

Lastly, BodyGym.  The exercise I do which looks like it is very similar to the Balance Board is to do an ab crunch with it.  You put your feet in the stirrups to hold the bottom in place and then wrap your hands around the bar and lean back.  The latex pulls you up so you aren't forcing all of your back muscles to do all the work for you.  The equipment helps which is nice when you are looking to protect but also strengthen.  It's kind of like having a helping hand while you are leaning back and then sitting up.  You can also adjust the tension just by rolling the bar and making it harder or easier depending on how you and your back feels that day.   Big thumbs up for this one too just for that one exercise alone.  I combine it with a row so I work my upper body too while doing the ab crunch.

I hope you feel better and back to normal soon.  I know back issues stink.  I was over it by the third week and really having a hard time after it stretched into the second month with no relief.  It's just not okay to not feel well and do what you used to do with no effort at all.  I hope you find what works for you.  Smiley Happy     

Tearing a back muscle is very rare and most are caused by some type of serious trauma that many times immobilizes a person to a great degree. 

Now if a person has never, ever stretched their back muscles? Still pretty rare without some type of trauma. 

Stretching an injured muscle correctly(which means without increasing the pain) usually expedites one's recovery. Stretching incorrectly? Could add a myriad of problems, much worse than just muscle pain.

I am minus 3 discs in my Lumbar Spine. L-5/S-1/L-3.

Open back surgery to remove 2 of them, and a less intrusive surgery to remove my L-3.

Strong Abs certainly are a must, but if one neglects to stretch all the muscles and connective tissues I mentioned in my other thread?  Not smart.

I wish everyone with Spinal issues well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't know what exactly I had since I only had very bad back pain at night lying down on one side away from my spine a bit which makes me think muscle.  Something I've never experienced before.  Stretching it with Lo Bak I don't think helped me out but then I don't think I had what the Lo Bak is designed to help with.  

I did a lot of twisting in one of my gym classes and I think that combined with my Power class (weightlifting) did me in in some form along with hiking 16 miles on the weekends.   Whatever it is, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I'm still not 100% and it's only been the past couple nights that I have had a somewhat decent sleep in the past two months.  

Thank you very much for the information.  I've read a lot of your posts and you're obviously knowledgable on the subject.  I appreciate you sharing it with me.  I've been looking high and low to see what may work and I'll read it all.