Respected Contributor
On 10/4/2014 happy housewife said:
On 10/4/2014 Perkup said:

I'm afraid you're going to find that many programs you once had with Medicare are going to be lost with this new "health care" plan. DH has Humana and has lost two programs - I don't remember which ones. Just the conversation.

My Medicare was under my personal Blue Cross policy, and they discontinued the prescription drug coverage with very short notice. I then had to go to another program, chose Humana, and am now paying an additional $58.00 per month for drug coverage that was previously included with my Blue Cross payments. By the way the Blue Cross monthly fees did not go down when they discontinued drug coverage.

IMHO I will be shocked if you find Silver Sneakers again. Good luck.

The government does not tell them what to charge you or what incentives they can or should offer.They are a private business. Don't you people see they are jacking up the prices because they realize that everyone will blame O care instead of them. O care has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry. I can't agree with you. OCare has everything to do with it iff nothing more (in some cases)than an excuse to do so, everyone is raising prices. I live between two major hospitals in a nest of medical professionals, and have several in my immediate family. Believe me, anyone who doesn't realize that OCare is responsible for these increases is living in never never land. Sorry. I don't mean to be offensive, but I see the paperwork, and I know where the problems lie. All the requirements from OCare - everything computerized, the tons of new paperwork, etc. are forcing costs up.

Honored Contributor
On 10/5/2014 Perkup said:
On 10/4/2014 Perkup said:

I'm afraid you're going to find that many programs you once had with Medicare are going to be lost with this new "health care" plan. DH has Humana and has lost two programs - I don't remember which ones. Just the conversation.

My Medicare was under my personal Blue Cross policy, and they discontinued the prescription drug coverage with very short notice. I then had to go to another program, chose Humana, and am now paying an additional $58.00 per month for drug coverage that was previously included with my Blue Cross payments. By the way the Blue Cross monthly fees did not go down when they discontinued drug coverage.

IMHO I will be shocked if you find Silver Sneakers again. Good luck.

The government does not tell them what to charge you or what incentives they can or should offer.They are a private business. Don't you people see they are jacking up the prices because they realize that everyone will blame O care instead of them. O care has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry. I can't agree with you. OCare has everything to do with it iff nothing more (in some cases)than an excuse to do so, everyone is raising prices. I live between two major hospitals in a nest of medical professionals, and have several in my immediate family. Believe me, anyone who doesn't realize that OCare is responsible for these increases is living in never never land. Sorry. I don't mean to be offensive, but I see the paperwork, and I know where the problems lie. All the requirements from OCare - everything computerized, the tons of new paperwork, etc. are forcing costs up.

These companies are profiteering on this because they know that people will blame o care when it is really just them seeing how much they can get away with.

Honored Contributor
On 10/5/2014 Perkup said:

Can you remember when prices DIDN'T go up???

I can't either.

Computerized records CUT DOWN on paperwork and eliminate double testing. The medical providers continue to do business with private insurance companies as they did in the past - no difference there either.

It is being used as an EXCUSE...and that's sad.

In real terms, the percentage of our GDP being spent on medical care is going down.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of the Silver Sneakers program.

Frequent Contributor
I have a regular Aetna Medicare PPO plan (not the pricier Advantage Plan) that I pay $70 a month for and Silver Sneakers is included. I do not know if it will be included in 2015.
Super Contributor

My plan also has Silver Sneakers but I never went because its way across the city in a not so nice area.

Respected Contributor

Well, I am really embarrassed now. I usually read things pretty carefully but when I read that they were no longer offering the Silver Sneakers rider, I missed the fact that they are going to include it with the basic membership now. Good news in fact. But what is not such good news is that all the Copays have been raised (quite a bit, actually). But that's a topic for another thread.

Thanks for all the replies, though. I'm still going to check with my 3 fitness centers to be sure they will accept Silver Sneakers next year.