Frequent Contributor

Silly question about heating pad.

I have a sore back and just got a sunbeam heating pad. I'm lying on it. I don't have to worry about it getting too hot between the bed and heating pad, do I? They expect people to lie on it, right? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Silly question about heating pad.

[ Edited ]

Be very careful. Do not fall asleep using one. I had some nasty burns when I fell asleep and the unit did not turn off.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes,I think so.I use mine in bed very often  and under the covers too. I have used mine in bed for years.I even have  one of those memory foam pads on my bed .

I also have an electric heated matress  cover too.I have had it for 20 yrs.Much better than an electric blanket.  Best product I ever bought. Who needs a man to keep your feet warm, when you have  a heated matress  pad ? ..........lol

Trusted Contributor

@Katyq wrote:

I have a sore back and just got a sunbeam heating pad. I'm lying on it. I don't have to worry about it getting too hot between the bed and heating pad, do I? They expect people to lie on it, right? 

Katyq,  I sleep with a heating pad every night and have for about 20 years.

I've never had a problem with one getting too hot or doing any damage.  I've been using a sunbeam for several years now.

Honored Contributor

Generally back pain should be treated with ice and not heat. You need to diminish the inflammation and that requires ice.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Yes,I think so.I use mine in bed very often  and under the covers too. I have used mine in bed for years.I even have  one of those memory foam pads on my bed .

I also have an electric heated matress  cover too.I have had it for 20 yrs.Much better than an electric blanket.  Best product I ever bought. Who needs a man to keep your feet warm, when you have  a heated matress  pad ? ..........lol

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have one too and I've had it for over 20 years. I love it.

Trusted Contributor

@Katyq  Please read the instructions that came with your heating pad.  I know that the one I used to have said not to lie on it.

I have a cousin who was badly burned by a heating pad, when it shorted out, and since then I don't use them.

I either use a hot water bottle, when convenient.  Or, I have several of those stuffed heating "things" that you heat in the microwave.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Generally back pain should be treated with ice and not heat. You need to diminish the inflammation and that requires ice.

I, too, have found ice to be much more effective for back pain.  Heat seems to intensify it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, you should worry about it. All heating pads say don't lie on them. First, to avoid a possible burn, and second, so you don't break the wires that run through them from the weight of your body. If you insist on doing it, make sure it has an automatic shut-off. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katyq,Ice is always your "default", not heat.  Heat builds up inflamation which is part of the soreness.

I use a bagie if ice against a clean dish towel against me.  Twenty on,

fifteen to twenty off.

Heat is for menstural cramps.