Super Contributor

I have had allergies symptoms for a month now. Thick mucus drainage down the back of my throat, coughing, clearing my throat, and difficulty swallowing the drainage. Been to a walk in clinic, called primary care doctor for virtual visit, been to see the primary doctor twice. Given Zyrtec, Z pack, and a cortisone shot. Last visit, he suggested this might be silent reflux and gave me script for generic Protonix. I can eat food, swallow liquid, and take meds with no problem. Difficulty swallowing my own saliva is what is scaring me. Once I get whatever dried up with children's Dimetapp I am okay. I usually take a child's dose. Referred to ENT.  I have no heartburn or indigestion. Needless to say, the swallowing issue is very distressing. I have to either clear my throat or cough before I can swallow whatever is dripping down my throat. Has anyone ever dealt with silent refux?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - past several months - - seasonal allergies and too much A/C will do it.  Our bodies manufacturer it (mucus - has another medical name)  to protect against bad stuff entering our system.  A/C dries out our membranes and causes an irritation, thus the need to cough to move it along..  This is NOT reflux.  I buy one of the Mucinex options,  over the counter tablets, which thins the mucus and allows it to drain better.

It really helps - avoid heavy duty prescriptions if possible

Honored Contributor

Could also be a sinus infection causing the drainage.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

Agree with possible sinus. My ENT says Acid Reflux, drainage and sinus infection are linked. Maybe the zpack didn't clear it up?

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower   You could have Vocal Cord Dysfunction.  I have it and have drainage, coughing and I would get hoarse, trouble swallowing, shortness of breath and eventually had acid reflux issues.  Those are all are many symptoms of VCD  and those who have it e can have all or only some of the symptoms.  It is very hard to diagnose and I was treated for asthma and sinus issues for years. 

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower 

I am a teacher, and at my previous school we had a classroom microphone amplification system. Every teacher was given a neck mic that we could strap on and the central speakers in the ceiling were wired to transmit all around the room.  Despite wearing a mic, I was prone to bouts of laryngitis, which would last for weeks.  I have asthma, allergies, and chronic sinus issues, to the point where I had sinus surgery to resolve the frequent infections.  My allergist and ENT are in the same practice, and they have a speech pathologist.  I saw her and she tested my vocal cords, which she said had ridges, an early sign of silent reflux.  This was concerning to me because my father passed of esophageal cancer, and he had acid reflux.  One of the "tips" she gave me was NEVER to clear my throat, because she said it's like slamming the vocal cords together, which causes more inflammation.  She advised that I drink water (small sips) throughout the day to keep the throat lubricated, and to use a certain kind of cough drop if I experienced dryness.  So far her tips have worked.  If I do get sick, and need to take additional decongestants, one of the first problems for me will be laryngitis.  It's a cycle- congested breathing, take decongestant, it dries out the throat and then I get laryngitis.

I do acupuncture and I use the neti pot when I feel congested.  Avoiding dairy is another good place to start.

I hope that you find some relief.

Contributor

I agree it can be a miserable condition with many different Dr's giving different teatment methods. I have had acid reflux for years.As soon as I think I am feeling better the allergies kick in or the asthma. 

Hoping to feel better with the acid reflux subsiding but so many Rx's to take a day can even be wearing.

Does anyone have any simple ideas to help that we may not have heard of before. 

I know following Dr's orders is helping but it seems all the ENT professionals have multiple opinions. Some work and some don't.

Hoping for everyone to feel better with the least amount of med's. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  I am sorry to hear you have this chronic problem.  May I ask what cough drops your doc recommends?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@lolakimono  I am sorry to hear you have this chronic problem.  May I ask what cough drops your doc recommends?

@tends2dogs 

I have had good luck with these:

Halls Breezers Creamy Strawberry Bag Cool Creamy Strawberry | Walgreens

The important part is that they NOT contain menthol.  While it helps to decongest, it also acts as an irritant to the throat, a never ending cycle.

Super Contributor

Re: Silent Reflux

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono  I am a retired teacher. Every November or December when I was teaching, I would get an upper respiratory illness. Drainage, cough, sore throat, and  hoarseness. I would talk all day, then not talk at night and be okay the next morning. This usually continued until Thanksgiving or December break. I could stop talking for days and my voice would come back. I have had many sinus infections and they are so nasty. I use a neti pot and gargle with salt water. The Protonix has really given me a dry mouth. So now I have trouble swallowing and little saliva. I purchased Biotene mouthwash and Act honey lemon longezes. These products are suppose to help with dry mouth. There is an Act gum that increases saliva production. What are the longezes your speech pathologist recommended? I was typing and just saw the above post. Thank you for your quick reply.