Honored Contributor

Re: Side effect from marine collagen peptides.

Seems to me ,you should stop taking them,it is effecting your system.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I put one scoop (approx 2.5 grams) into my coffee, too. Then another scoop into my afternoon 'green' drink. My poo looks like deer turds...I know that's graphic but it's true.

If you’re using Lessman’s, the directions say you can use one or more scoops. Try cutting back to just one scoop. His product is derived from tilapia, if that makes any difference to you.

@Mindy D 

I'm taking another brand made from tilapia. The recommended amounts for that and AL's are the same. I measure my dose with a scale so I know how much I'm taking. AL's scoop is 5g. I take half of that amount, of my brand, twice daily. Smiley Happy

I'm going to stop taking it for a week and see if my constipation goes away. I want to make sure that's what it is.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I was concerned, too, about the calcium. But I'm not certain that the MCP, from tilapia, contains any calcium...? I don't know for sure and I have been looking for more info about that. What I have come across is that CPs in general may increase calcium absorption in the gut which would lead to higher levels in the blood but I haven't been able to find any info to confirm that either. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been several studies over the past years about the negative effects on the heart esp in women who take calcium supplements. But more studies are needed to be conclusive.

Calcium can be had with diet like nuts beans and leafy greens.

Healthline.com has good information on how much calcium to take-the benefits and negative effects.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've never had to take a stool softener ever. I haven't a clue about how or when to take them. But I think I need to find out soon because of my problem with the MCPs.

@SilleeMee  I guess it’s common for constipaton to happen post surgery. When I had my operation last year, I was advised to be prepared and have a stool softener on hand.  They started giving my a stool softener in the hospital and I continued at home until the plumbing returned to normal.  The name is called Colace but Costco has an equivalent under their Kirkland brand that works fine.  Directions are on the bottle.  It’s possible that you may be plugged up somewhere and that’s why you’re seeing a “small result”.  You may need the softener to get things moving along again, Drink lots of water too.  I’d also back off to one scoop daily on the collagen powder.  Lastly, I’d recommend that you consider a multi collagen peptide powder rather than marine only.  

Honored Contributor

ThanksWoman Happy @JeanLouiseFinch . I've decided to pick up some softener today when  go to the store. I need relief! Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

When I had severe constipation, Fleet enemas worked fairly quickly. They are premeasured and easy to use.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I put one scoop (approx 2.5 grams) into my coffee, too. Then another scoop into my afternoon 'green' drink. My poo looks like deer turds...I know that's graphic but it's true.

OMG - thank you for the laugh, you brightened up my gloomy Monday morning. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I was advised to take a softener too from my doctor.  They worked but they also caused a very noisy stomach for me which was embarrassing to say the least.   

Contributor

I get really bad reflux from marine collagen.  However, I can consume chicken/beef collagen with no problems.