Respected Contributor

Re: Shower Chair Recommendations Please

There are a variety of different shower chairs, think about if you need arms and a back and look at weight capacity if that might be an issue. @azgal posted an example of what works best with a tub shower combination.  Amazon/Walmart.com often have the best prices and it is highly unlikely that your insurance would pay. Always read the most recent reviews.

Frequent Contributor

I used a shower bench like Az girl suggested. We recently had our shower redone so we now have a bench built in. The bench we used was in great shape after 5 years. You might check with your local senior center. People donate items they no longer need and as long as you're over 60 you can use them indefinitely. The ones at ours are all in great condition.

Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:
You can buy a Drive Medical shower chair for $32 from Amazon. Medicare will pay for a basic walker. If the patient is being treated by a physical therapist, ask about the cost of a chair. You can ask your doctor.

@Nuttmeg 

I looked at the Drive Medical chair and the reviews read that the seat of the chair broke. I was surprised 

Valued Contributor

@azgal wrote:

I use a shower bench with an arm on one side because my legs are weak and I need the arm to get up.

It's a Carex tub transfer bench. I've had it for several years and it's still in excellent condition.

I found one on Amazon.Carex Tub Transfer Bench - Shower Chair Transfer Bench with Height Adjustable Legs - Convertible to Right or Left Hand Entry

@azgal 

I like this chair and like it has a back on too. Thank you I will look at measurements 

Valued Contributor

@Anniedog wrote:

I used a shower bench like Az girl suggested. We recently had our shower redone so we now have a bench built in. The bench we used was in great shape after 5 years. You might check with your local senior center. People donate items they no longer need and as long as you're over 60 you can use them indefinitely. The ones at ours are all in great condition.

@Anniedog 

My friend isn’t quite sixty yet but I will check anyway. Thank you 

Respected Contributor

My Mom used a shower bench like Az girl suggested. I believe it was this 'Invacare Transfer Bench.' 

Features

• Sturdy, durable, one-piece blow-molded seat
  • Textured seat with drain holes
  • Ergonomically shaped, reversible backrest snaps in and out easily without tools
  • Built-in soap dish and hand-held shower holder

I-Class™ Heavy-Duty Transfer Bench

Honored Contributor

@Reconnaissant 

in addition to the measurements - you have to take into account how to enter the tub/showe

if the seat is placed inside the tube but you can't step around it to sit on it

things that I didn't think of initially

Esteemed Contributor

@Reconnaissant

We don't know what a person weights. The chair is not heavy so you can lift it out the tub.

Personally this is better in a shower stall.

You may want to buy a shower bench. Submit your question on Amazon. Someone may respond. 

Trusted Contributor

@azgal That's the one I have and used it when I had my right knee replaced last October.  It worked fine because I also needed to grip some handle bar to exit the tub.  

Right now it's fully assembled right next to the treadmill in my bedroom.  That's because my left knee has to also be replaced but it won't be done this year due to COVID.  So next year, the shower chair will be all ready to help me again!

Valued Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Reconnaissant

We don't know what a person weights. The chair is not heavy so you can lift it out the tub.

Personally this is better in a shower stall.

You may want to buy a shower bench. Submit your question on Amazon. Someone may respond. 

@Nuttmeg 

Thank you