Trusted Contributor

Re: Shout out to all the great doctors out there

@sgraham30 wrote:

@Teddie, it takes a special type of person to become a nurse, I know I couldn't do it. I was talking to one of the nurses who was part of my care team after my cardiac ablation last week. 

I had commented on how personable he was & I told him exactly what I posted above, that it takes a special type of person to be a nurse. He asked why I felt I wouldn't make a good nurse. I told him that you have to be a people person, he said I seemed like I enjoyed being around others, then he said you needed to have a lot of patience, no one feels their best if they're in the ICU. I told him I don't have patience, I get aggravated/frustrated easily & you can't do that when somone is sick enough to be in the hospital. You also have to have empathy for your patients.

I was considering sending the ICU nursing unit a thank you card, but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. I was so out of it most of the time that i was there that I don't remember the names of every nurse that I interacted with.

I'm sorry you were in a position where you needed their care, @sgraham30.  I hope you are doing okay now. I so agree with you that it's a special person to even go into that line of work. It's not easy and that's why I appreciated them so much. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Teddie, thank you for the well wishes. This is my 2nd ablation in 18 months, the first one was considered a failure after 8 months, my arrythmias nearly doubled, from 4 to 7. I had serious complications with this 2nd one that had me in the ICU for nearly 3 days.

I'm very appreciative of the care that I received from the nurses I interacted with. I have to clear it with the unit director first, but I'm thinking about sending them one of those sandwich trays that Costco sells (or used to sell?) along with the afore mentioned thank you card.

Respected Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@wonderfulworld, I would have to clear it with the unit director first, but I was considering sending them one of the prepared sandwich trays that Costco sells. I haven't bought one in quite a while so I'm not even sure what they offer. 

I send Cheryl's cookies to my pediatrician's office every Christmas. They are wonderful!

So nice of you to acknowledge them.

Trusted Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@Teddie, thank you for the well wishes. This is my 2nd ablation in 18 months, the first one was considered a failure after 8 months, my arrythmias nearly doubled, from 4 to 7. I had serious complications with this 2nd one that had me in the ICU for nearly 3 days.

I'm very appreciative of the care that I received from the nurses I interacted with. I have to clear it with the unit director first, but I'm thinking about sending them one of those sandwich trays that Costco sells (or used to sell?) along with the afore mentioned thank you card.

@sgraham30  You poor thing! You have really been through some huge things there. I wasn't even sure what it was and looked up the word "ablation."  I hadn't heard of that and I'm still unclear but I sure hope you're feeling better than before! 

Trusted Contributor

@Teddie, thank you. I'm definitely being closely watched now because of the complications that I had. I'm not feeling better yet, but I know from past experience that healing will take time, my heart has to recover from being "zapped." ( I had the radiofrequency ablation, not the cryoablation) I told my doctor that I'm done with ablations after this, he's going to have to find another way to treat my arrythmias, I'm not putting myself through this again, he agrees with me. Now we just "wait & see" then determine how to proceed.

Contributor

Wonderful positive thread!!!!! Thank you @ccassaday! I pray you continue to do well.