Regular Contributor

I had a cortisone shot shot for it. It only lasted 2 months. I’m in pain. Just wondering if anyone had this and what did they do. I can’t get another shot for 2 months. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi @jagk   I didn't have impingement.  I had adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder).  Left shoulder 2004 and right shoulder 2014.  Both times the orthopedic guy injected me in the frozen shoulder joint with long acting Kenalog that lasted for at least 9 months (by then I worked my arm free of the adhesions).

I was poking around the internet when I read your post because I didn't know what impingement was.  Based on what I read it doesn't sound like the injections last that long for impingement.

Having been through some wicked shoulder issues twice in a 10 year period, I know the pain and I'm sorry you're going through it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Frequent Contributor

Clearly you need to return to your Dr. for further evaluation. Many possibilities should be considered. I am recovering from a total shoulder replacement. I have chronic osteoarthritis. I’ve had both hips and one knee replaced. I will have the second knee replaced this fall. New joints are an improvement over constant pain. 

Good luck. I hope you have good insurance. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry you’re in pain. Cortisone shots often don’t last very long.

I ended up having surgery both sides. Torn and destroyed rotator cuffs, shredded bicep etc. Had first surgery in Oct, 2nd in Jan. 

Pain much better, I can lay down on my side, and lift my arms 80%.  Strength is about 60% on right arm, 80%

on left.

It is a difficult recovery, I still have pain, but much less.

I wish you well, have you tried PT? Or excercises at home— that might help with range of movement. Good 

luck

Honored Contributor

My DH was diagnosed with that, he went for PT for a few weeks, then was good as new!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Shoulder impingement

[ Edited ]

My husband needs a knee replacement, but is not a good candidate for the surgery, due to diabetes.   For 2 years he received cortisone injections, which did help with his discomfort.  

Another major health issue issue is preventing him from further steroid injections, so he uses Voltaren gel/cream to bring relief.   This is by prescription only and at least with my husband comes with a list of “do nots”.   Check with your physician to see if this strong topical is a possibility for you.   

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what I have but sometimes my shoulders hurt when I do the 'chicken wing' movement. That makes my shoulders hurt on the top, not on the sides, front or back. Don't know what it is but it comes and goes.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm not sure what I have but sometimes my shoulders hurt when I do the 'chicken wing' movement. That makes my shoulders hurt on the top, not on the sides, front or back. Don't know what it is but it comes and goes.

I pull out the joint socket all the time.If it is putting on my heavy shower robe on the wrong side first or lifting hesvy  20lb bags of bird seed. It is very painful untill it slips back in by itself. Which can take a while.........

I find the roll on ,"Stop Pain"  helps soooo much and also I now use Theraworx and it works very good!  You can get both on Amazon

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shoulder impingement

[ Edited ]

Ohhhh, I sympathize, @MalteseMomma .

I have too much 'free play' in my joints and they can just "slip" out of place, then get stuck there and not go back where they belong. (This is not being double jointed.)

Meanwhile, there's usually a trapped nerve or other soft tissue.

@jagk ,

Came across a pair of physical therapists that post videos daily on YouTube.

"Bob and Brad."

They cover pain/tightness/wear &tear, disease, etc in all areas of the body.

I found these guys after my doc kept saying it was rotator cuff, which it isn't.

Now my right shoulder is acting up too, but not the same as my left. Bob and Brad's YouTube vids have helped me quite a bit.

Here's "Bob and Brad's Absolute Best Shoulder Impingement Exercises" .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fpqMU88DfyE

@SilleeMee , check out Bob and Brad.

They have videos to help diagnose, whether pain is from nerve, joint, or muscle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsRzUPsOw2Q

Honored Contributor

Thank you! Smiley Happy @x Hedge