Respected Contributor

Should Oprah be the WW Spokesperson?

[ Edited ]

This was being discussed on my Facebook page. Many felt she has not lost any significant weight- how can that reflect a successful program? Would a hair product show a model with bad hair? A toothpaste commercial someone with bad teeth? Others felt Oprah is highly regarded and has struggled with weight and people would relate to that.

What do you think?

Valued Contributor

Re: Should Oprah be the WW Spokesperson?

I have  no issue with Oprah as a spokesperson for WW, she is part owner. I feel like she is comfortable at her current weight and she can maintain that weight with the program.  Now, OTOH, kate hudson being a spokesperson is a bit puzzling. Granted she recently had a baby, but don't feel she's the right fit for a spokesperson.  

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

@Helen852 wrote:

I have  no issue with Oprah as a spokesperson for WW, she is part owner. I feel like she is comfortable at her current weight and she can maintain that weight with the program.  Now, OTOH, kate hudson being a spokesperson is a bit puzzling. Granted she recently had a baby, but don't feel she's the right fit for a spokesperson.  

@Helen852  I totally agree with you!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, because she paid millions of dollars and owns a big part of WW.  Yes, because while hasn't lost any more weight (I assume); she hasn't regained the weight she did lose and THAT is huge.  Losing weight is the easy part.  Maintaing weight loss is the most important thing and the hardes thing.   

Respected Contributor

I am a lifetime WW member currently at goal weight. I like Oprah as a person but would still be a WW member even if she wasn't the spokesperson. She only holds about 10% of WW stock. As you may know WW now stands for Wellness Works de emphasizing the weight loss aspect although people I know go there to lose weight and then maintain the loss. I lost 35 pounds on WW, i am in good health and no longer have to pay at my weekly workshop(meeting).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WW has rules for Leaders and Staff.  They get fired if they don't maintain their goal weight.

In theory, Oprah can have a doctor's note with her goal weight prescribed by a doctor and WW will honor it.

Anyone can do that.

But the optics of Oprah not losing weight are not good.   

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I think she should be the spokesperson and will represent WW well (I am sure her haters will disagree).  She has struggled with her weight as most of us have. When I did WW it was a system that depended upon your own efforts...you had to follow the program and part of the success was having others help you along the way to weight loss. 

Whose to say who makes a good spokesperson...look at the subway spokesperson...he lost weight and is now serving time...No one can really tell who or who won't make a good spokesperson nowadays...just my observations.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

She absolutely should be the spokesperson.

Weight loss has been a life long struggle for her.

Oprah heads the largest group of people facing the same struggle she has  but she is learning to live her best life..at a larger size than she has been than her thinnest and feel good and good about herself.  She is not heavy and is 65 years old.

Skinny and thin are not beautiful or by any means healthy or the norm.

Exercise, good health habits, moderatation,  proper life attitude, good eating plans without deprivation and learning to live with life stress are the road to a wellness.

eta

All of my grandparents were 95 to 100 when they died and none of them were skinny.

Trusted Contributor

I think it's time for others to have a chance.....enough of oprah. I don't like or hate her neutral.

Honored Contributor

I am a Weight Watchers lifetime member. The program has changed the emphasis from weight loss to living well. Yes the idea is to lose weight, but also stresses being healthy and the best you can be. You aren't supposed to get hung up on the number on the scale. I have no problem with Oprah being a WW spokeswoman she has put her money into the company, she can do what she wants.