Respected Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

Anyone having apprehension about scheduled 'elective' medical care should simply reschedule. Most places will be expecting it.

I had my annual eye exam nine days ago. I flip-flopped for a week about whether I should go. It was only because I was having some new eye issues, that I went.

The morning of the exam I received a call. They asked if I could come in early because of numerous cancellations, which is unheard of there.  It takes two to three months to get an appointment. I thought -- great, less people.

It should have gone well, but while waiting for my eyes to dialate, another patient came in, too.  It was a small room.  She was hoarse, hacking and coughing. She looked she might have been a like a long term smoker, but maybe not.  She started conversation about 'the virus,' nonsense. Crazy talk. In my head I was screaming --- WHAT have I just walked into.    

I can't deny I began keeping track of the days since the visit. Looks like I'm okay, but no matter if you go to a place that should be protective, other individuals often are not. 

Honored Contributor

I would say use common sense and do what is comfortable and safe for you.  I too have a doctor appointment in a couple of days and most likely will go after giving it thought.  The only reason I hesitate is because it isn't close by and in the city where a couple of deaths have resulted from the virus. That doesn't mean panic but I guess just the thought gives me pause.  

Everyone reacts in their own way and in these situations clear heads don't always prevail.  It all certainly brings out the best and worse in people, I have witnessed plenty of that.

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters, I think the conditions you described are favorable to keeping your appointment. I had my cleaning a few days ago and did the things you plan to do. My dentist and his staff also follow the same protocol as yours. I like the hand sanitizer on the counter to use when you arrive and sign in at the desk. They wipe down all of the hard surfaces in the treatment room and use a new paper cover on the headrest for each patient. Considering all, I think you can safely keep your appointment. Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

I am struggiing with the same issue. I have my yearly OBGYN tomorrow and on the 25th I am having dental implant surgery. I am confused on what to do. The surgery took 3 months to get because they are very busy so if I cancel it will be another who knows when

Beckyblu

@Junker2327 

First off, I'll say that I tend to err on the side of caution, but if it were me, I'd postpone the routine OB/GYN unless you are having any problems in that area that concern you.

I don't think a couple of more weeks-month would hurt, but I'm not a medical expert and don't propose to be, that's just what I would do, but I have lung disease, so I'm being extra cautious.

I would not be concerned about the dental surgery, since any surgery is done under very sterile conditions, speaking from experience.

I would just make sure you self isolate during the recovery period, JMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

If your dentist though it was unsafe, they would have called and cancelled your appointment.  I feel sure your hygienist will be wearing a mask.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would call & talk to them, every situation is different.

I have an eye exam scheduled this week, I'm cancelling because the office is in a building with another medical practice, not just eye doctors.   I'm in a risk category.

If you decide to go, ask if you can wait in your car until it's your turn to go back, rather than waiting in the waiting room..

@Tribesters wrote:

I have my 6 month cleaning appointment on Tuesday. There are no reported cases in my county, however I live in NY state. My dentist & hygienist have been wearing gloves & masks for years. I think I will go but just be careful. I'll use hand sanitizer after touching the door handle. I won't read any magazines or touch anything in the waiting room. It's a small dental practice- usually only 1 or 2 people in the waiting room.

Is anyone canceling or rescheduling their dental appointments? I'm under 60 by a few years & pretty healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If your dentist though it was unsafe, they would have called and cancelled your appointment.  I feel sure your hygienist will be wearing a mask.

I would worry they may not turn away patients (revenue)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters I just had this done the other day. My dental office has a sanitizer station in the covered breezeway and at the counter and all patients are required to use BOTH.

They are wiping down doors and handles hourly and surfaces regular]y. All patients are given a special rinse to use while in the chair before any procedure.

We are also sanitizing our hands before we leave and are pushing the door handles with our elbows, not hands, when leaving.

Frequent Contributor

What about getting to the appt?  I have to park, walk a block or 2 and then take an elevator which inevitably always has other people in it, going up and down.  

Unless it is essential, forget it.   A cleaning can be done any time.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a cleaning due come April Fools Day.  So I will decide if I will go in a couple of weeks as we see how all of this plays out.  I can always reschedule a cleaning.

As far as magazines... you should NEVER pick up magazines in either doctor or any medical office... they are supposely the filthiest things to touch.. the covers and pages full of germs.