Trusted Contributor

Should I go to my dentist appointment?

I have my 6 month cleaning appointment on Tuesday. There are no reported cases in my county, however I live in NY state. My dentist & hygienist have been wearing gloves & masks for years. I think I will go but just be careful. I'll use hand sanitizer after touching the door handle. I won't read any magazines or touch anything in the waiting room. It's a small dental practice- usually only 1 or 2 people in the waiting room.

Is anyone canceling or rescheduling their dental appointments? I'm under 60 by a few years & pretty healthy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

[ Edited ]

I would go, as long as they advise you they have taken all precautions for your safety. Call first to be sure they are open and have their staff working. By Tues, things can change, more places may be closing or forced to close. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters wrote:

I have my 6 month cleaning appointment on Tuesday. There are no reported cases in my county, however I live in NY state. My dentist & hygienist have been wearing gloves & masks for years. I think I will go but just be careful. I'll use hand sanitizer after touching the door handle. I won't read any magazines or touch anything in the waiting room. It's a small dental practice- usually only 1 or 2 people in the waiting room.

Is anyone canceling or rescheduling their dental appointments? I'm under 60 by a few years & pretty healthy. 

I am 69, and just went for my semi-annual teeth cleaning this past week.

Think about it:  this is a medical office, sanitized after each patient; people do not go there when they are sick.  Seems to me, it's one of the safest places you can be.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Trusted Contributor

I would cancel the appointment and reschedule it. Please dont go now as things get developped every hour. Stay safe dear!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

I have my annual mamm on the 24th, I am wondering same thing, I am thinking they may call me and ask me to reschedule. 

Valued Contributor

I cancelled all elective appointments.  I don't consider dental cleaning urgent.  You can always reschedule when the crisis is over.

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering the same for annual appt type things.

The thing I think about,

the providers have been exposed to many people every day.

Who knows

what they have been exposed to when people don't even know if they have the virus until symptoms but are contagious before they do?

There just are no clear answers.

All these decisions, we just don't know.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have a dental cleaning scheduled for Tuesday. I am going.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters 

Cancel, without question. Even if you lived anywhere else. 

Honored Contributor

They may wear gloves and masks and wipe down the room after each patient BUT are they wiping down the pens and the drawer handles and cabinet handles or are they touching all that stuff and then putting that same gloved hand back into your mouth?