Respected Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

I'd call the oral surgeon's office and find out if they're even doing non-emergency surgery now and in the near future.  They themselves may want you to reschedule. 

Valued Contributor

I have an appointment tomorrow for a massage at a local Rec Center . The lady is a nurse at a large hospital 30 miles from here . She does this as a side job . I plan to cancel my appointment . It’s too much close contact for me . 

Respected Contributor

@judianne, good decision. Smart choice!

Honored Contributor

I already postponed mine for a cold a couple of weeks ago.  It was rescheduled for this Wednesday.  Unless they call to postpone again or send me an E-mail, I plan on going.  However, they often close when the schools close and our schools were scheduled to close after classes on Wednesday, but most of them have moved it up to Monday, so there's that.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would reschedule.  I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and local news just reported this within the last hour after our biggest spike was recorded:

These new cases appear to be spread from people who had not yet developed symptoms,” Philadelphia Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley said. “So we expect the number of cases to grow rapidly in this phase of the epidemic. Because of that, and because of increased testing availability, we are now encouraging physicians to test more widely. And that will help with containment.”

Also, Governor just closed dining in:  UPDATE: Governor Tom Wolf ordered all restaurants and bars to close their dine-in facilities starting at 12:01 a.m. Monday in Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties for 12 days.

Frequent Contributor

I just heard Dr. Sapphire on FNC say that you should CANCEL all routine dental cleaning appointments. Just too close contact to be safe. 

I'm just the messenger. 

Honored Contributor

I went to mine last week.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

I have my 6 month cleaning appointment on Tuesday. There are no reported cases in my county, however I live in NY state. My dentist & hygienist have been wearing gloves & masks for years. I think I will go but just be careful. I'll use hand sanitizer after touching the door handle. I won't read any magazines or touch anything in the waiting room. It's a small dental practice- usually only 1 or 2 people in the waiting room.

Is anyone canceling or rescheduling their dental appointments? I'm under 60 by a few years & pretty healthy. 

No. It's just a cleaning.This service can wait. Limit your contacts. Social distancing helps to contain the virus.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Tribesters I would not go.  Even though the doctor and nurse are wearig masks and gloves and they say they sanitize after each patient.  The nurse and the doctor may be somewhat protected.  However, the room is not protected.  I believe the spray in and  on your mouth can travel throughout the treatment room and probably cannot be sanitized enough.  Think also, of the patients who were there before you.  I am not a medical expert or professional, but think common sense should be instructive here.

Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

I am struggiing with the same issue. I have my yearly OBGYN tomorrow and on the 25th I am having dental implant surgery. I am confused on what to do. The surgery took 3 months to get because they are very busy so if I cancel it will be another who knows when

Beckyblu

The problem with the implant surgery is the small, but possible, problem of infection requiring hospitalization. If the infection is a severe one and requires ICU and ventilator  you would be taxing our limited resources. It would be better to dalay this procedure. We need to flatten the curve. We must avoid extra use of the limited capacity of our healthcare. We only have so many ICUs and ventilators to go around. Even if it's unlikely you would ever need to use these resources it would be better, since this is an elective orocedure, to defer it. You will also be limiting your contact with others, which helps in the containment of the virus.