Super Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

This is the typical actions all healthcare & others are taking, kelsey17. Prudent behaviour at this time is best. Again, esp. if you are in the most suceptible age group.

Respected Contributor

I am 69 with ongoing health problems; I went for my 6 months check-up this past week.  The thought never crossed my mind that I should cancel.

Honored Contributor

I have a dental appt on April 1 and I plan on going. 

Valued Contributor

I have a 6 month oncologist and blood work appt. this Thursday. I plan on going.

( 4 year survivor TN breast cancer)

Super Contributor

FYI:  Nike, Urban Outfitters & other retailers are shuttering until end of month.

Valued Contributor

One of the advice posts on local media has encouraged people not to have appointments where you are close to anyone, including providers. That means hair appointments, nail salons, dentists (unless an emergency), just the usual appointments.

I'd re-schedule.

Super Contributor

ARE you in the risk category (Over 60 or with a pre existing medical condition)?  If not, you should be okay. My husband is a dentist in California for a county medical center.  He has always worn gloves and a mask.  They actually fit him for a better mask during the Coronavirus.  If you are in a risk category then you should not go.  But if you are under 60 with no pre existing medical conditions then you should be fine.  Ask your dentist for hand sanitizer after your procedure.  They should have some.  Don't touch your face and wash your hands with soap and water for a good amount of time when you get home.  I also heard a rumor that wearing glasses helps you not catch Coronavirus.  I don't know if it is true, but you could wear some reading glasses or sunglasses to keep your eyes covered.

Respected Contributor

@twinkies Nice, that they took your temperature, but I'm at the point where I want to say, thanks, but now, let's take yours.

However, taking temps can be unreliable, anyway.  Those tested may take NSAIDS, or other meds for chronic pain that's controlling a low grade fever. So, the people screened before you, may have a temp masked by meds. 

I don't care if providers are masking, gloving, etc. When not with a client, they aren't gloved and are touching all kinds of items in the environment, that we may touch. 

I'm sure they wouldn't purposefully transmit an illness, but with this virus, you're supposedly the most virulent in the initial stages, when the individual may not even notice early symptoms.

I'm not paranoid about this issue, just realistic. We must contain this virus. We can only do this by taking precautions. If we don't take this seriously, we will wind up like Italy, only allowed out of our homes for food and pharmacy.  

Honored Contributor

If this were me and my Dentist, I'd have already changed it to late April. They would understand perfectly and probably thanked me for doing so.

Knowing my Dentist, they'd be proactive and would be calling their patients about this already.

Honored Contributor

My cleaning is scheduled for about 5 weeks from now and I expect I will reschedule.

I don't care what sort of assurances I get about cleanliness.  The tech's face will be very close and her hands will be in my mouth (gloves?  pfffffffffffffft).

I can wait.