Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

I cancelled my pap 3/26. I'm already 5 months late, so what's a few more weeks?  I had my mammo in Oct but couldn't get a day off work for the pap until now.

My dentist appointment is 4/18 I haven't cancelled it yet. I'll wait and see. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

SeaMaiden, prudent now, but otherwise, in non Covid-19 times, you are becoming, or are Howard Hughes. FYI.....we do have an immune system.

You can make yourself crazy or immobile with this behavior. Again, in non-Covid19 times.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

They may wear gloves and masks and wipe down the room after each patient BUT are they wiping down the pens and the drawer handles and cabinet handles or are they touching all that stuff and then putting that same gloved hand back into your mouth?

I just received a message from my Dentist and the instruction was, when you come to the office, call from your car and they will come and get you when it's time and bring you in the back door.  Then when it's time to sign out they will give you a pen to keep after you sign out.  I cancelled my cleaning anyway because I'm 74 and will not be going any place.

Super Contributor

I have an appointment scheduled for early April, for 6 month cleaning.  As of now, I will keep it, however, subject to change.  If it were my mammo,  I would not cancel.  My breast cancer was detected on April 16, 2001.  My prior test was April 15, 2000 and I was negative then.  One year to the day (April 15 was a Sunday) I was shocked but so thankful I was diligent with my testing, that I now had breast cancer.  Nothing would keep me from cancelling my mammo.   Take your precautions and good luck with your decisions.

Valued Contributor

I went to my dental cleaning last week and when I got there [ before cleaning ]the assistant took me in another room and took my temperature. It was fine so I was good to go . I have a compromized immune system and am fine.. the dentists are taking precautions also so I would go. cathy from ma.

Esteemed Contributor

DH & I have an appointment for a checkup & cleaning next week. I'm going to call tomorrow & cancel. No way are we taking that kind of chance. Better err on the side of caution.

Super Contributor

In the "best" of times, the dentist office creeps me out. Yes, they sanitize the tools & adhere to OSHA & CDC guidelines. But, really, it's a great time to avoid the DDS now.

Valued Contributor

I have a cleaning appointment scheduled for this coming Friday and had this same conversation with my sister this morning.  I figure I will call them and see what they have to say.  Reading though the replies to this thread, I see some offices are following the ADA recommendations.  I am posting the link, don't think it is one the mods will kill.

https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2020-archive/march/ada-adds-frequently-asked-questions-... 

I do have a phone repair person scheduled to do a repair in my home this Wednesday.  I am trying to decide if I want to let a person potentially with extra germs into my house.  Verizon may not be too accommodating if I try to reschedule.  

We are just being careful but not doing wacky things.  Fortunately we have plenty of paper products and the bottle of hand sanitizer I received for Christmas (always keep one in my car) was accidently a package of 6 so we are golden there.  :-)

Super Contributor

ceekey, I'd reschedule the phone repair. Don't be complacent. People haven't been tested so we, the public, don't know how many in our community have this virus. Esp. if you are in the most vunerable age group.

Esteemed Contributor

I just went this past Wed to my dentist for a reg check which i had to cancel because of other health reasons a couple weeks back...........the first thing they did before they even let me in the exam room was to ask questions about my present health, any fevers, cough, etc.      Once we did that i went in for my exam.......she wore a mask, gloves and i always have an open antibacterial wipe with me in case i go to touch something, etc.....so i feel it was a pretty safe visit.................but things have worsened a bit since this past week......so it would have to be considered with the findings this coming week..............