Honored Contributor

Re: Should I go to my dentist appointment?

I have a dental appointment tomorrow for cleaning.  As long as they're opening, I plan on going.  It's a small operation.  I'm not concerned.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd go, but that's just me. I kept my dr's appt last week, and I have been keeping my infusions (biologic) every two months. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

They may wear gloves and masks and wipe down the room after each patient BUT are they wiping down the pens and the drawer handles and cabinet handles or are they touching all that stuff and then putting that same gloved hand back into your mouth?

@CelticCrafter 

Even if they do all of this it is important to cancel and stay home as much as possible. It doesn’t matter how much they clean if you walk by someone who is contagious and get exposed. 

It really should not take much if any thought at this point. Just stay home whenever possible 

Respected Contributor

If I didn't have issues that really needed attention every 6 months, I would cancel the appointment.  That would be my comfort level right now with the close contact involved.

I get my teeth cleaned once a year, and have no problems.  

Honored Contributor

Turn off your tv and step away from the constant news hammering away at the American people! I refuse to fall for the zombie apocalypse mentality. I have upcoming doctor appointments and I will go without any hesitation. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have my annual mamm on the 24th, I am wondering same thing, I am thinking they may call me and ask me to reschedule. 

I’m supposed to schedule my annual mammogram this month but I’m going to wait until things start getting better.   

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

For those in the category MOST Suceptible, why take the chance on a dental cleaning or other?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in NYC. Perhjaps it's a very risky place these days because of the population density. I went to my quarterly dental maintenance appointment just this past Wednesday for a checkuyp and a cleaning. I didn't hesitate. I did not take public transportation. It was a nice day and I rode my motor scooter, wearing a helmet and gloves as I always do. Scooter accidents can be very dangerous!

In the office, I saw every hygienic step practiced. My dentist does the cleanings and all services himself. He wears gloves and a face shield. His instruments are sterilized. His assistant wiped down the arms of the chair,  the clear protective glasses he asks me to wear, and the spit sink fixtures with an antibacterial wipe just before I sat down and in my sight.

I used hand sanitizer before I left the office. 

I am symptom-free a whole 5 days later. I am not at all surprised to be healthy, and now my teeth and gums are, too.

I don't think a dentist's office is particularly dangerous, as you can tell by my narrative.

Levels of fear and beliefs in vulnerability vary. Asking someone's opinion gets you to know how they feel about risk and fear for themselves. It's not a contest. Feel your own risk beliefs and act accordingly. No matter what I do, I wouldn't think I'd influence someone who wouldn't do the same. They'd either emulate me, admire me, or think I'm a fool. So my opinion is valid, but it doesn't mean I'm right.

What we do to protect our health is personal. Some will be extreme in either direction. Live life on your terms. Yes, I went to the dentist for a routine appointment. I took a somewhat risky form of transportation, too! Is that really influencing any one else?

Valued Contributor

I am struggiing with the same issue. I have my yearly OBGYN tomorrow and on the 25th I am having dental implant surgery. I am confused on what to do. The surgery took 3 months to get because they are very busy so if I cancel it will be another who knows when

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I had a dental appt a month ago so I went.

With what is going on in NY right now I would not go. I would stay home unless absolutely necessary to go out.

You will have to make your own decision.