Honored Contributor

Both knees needed a shot.  This shot fills in the "cushion" that use to be between the bones.  One really hurt, the other was not bad, due to  the swelling going on in that knee. I go back in 6 weeks, to see how it's working for me and my knees.  Today, no pain going on.  That's beautiful.

I'm wondering if in earlier years how I took the knee areas for granted, is now making me pay.  I don't know how this stuff goes away, so those are my thoughts.

Anyone here have these shots in the knees?

Honored Contributor

I haven't had any shots in my knees yet, but I am giving it some thought.  I know that they help temporary and when they stop working, drastic measures may be necessary.

Summer is almost here and I know I don't want to be so miserable with pain that I can't enjoy boating and swimming this year.

I am glad to hear that the shots are working for you.  I hope they will work for me too.  Right now my knees make crunching sounds when I walk... it drives me crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

I also got those shots. They hurt like the dickens for me. I got three in each knee. It worked beautifully. What a difference. 

Honored Contributor

I've gone through a series of 5 gel injections in my right knee (due to arthritis). I'm now doing a series of PT.  I see no improvement yet.  As to the shots themselves, I never felt any pain to speak of.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal , same for me......left knee injection hurts but when he does the right knee (which is closer to bone to bone) it’s excruciatingly painful but it’s quick.  It takes about three weeks for knee pain relief to be felt.  I get the Synvisc One injections.  I was going once a year but my doctor says I need to do it every six months.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

In 2014 I got tired of the pain in my knees and went to the doctor for a "shot".  He told me I was too far gone and needed knee replacements.  I had one done in 2014 and one about 9 months later (he wouldn't do them at the same time).  Best decision I ever made.  No more pain.  Rehab wasn't bad.  As long as you do the exercises you are walking normally again and pain free in no time.  Depending on how often you need to get the shots, you may want to discuss the surgery with your doctor.

Honored Contributor

I had a series of two, maybe three shots in my right knee several years ago.

I felt no relief at all.  Total waste of time. There are several different brands of shots. My knee is pretty stable right now but when I saw my doctor in December he suggested trying the shots again if I start hurting again.  I’d be willing to try them but I’m not too enthusiastic about it.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I was in a LOT of pain in my right knee and then my right toe started acting up.  I went to my primary (I'm about to go on Medicare next month) and he took an Xray of both the toe & knee.  Turns out that I have a bone spur in each plus arthritis in my knee.

Since my toe was so painful and I was about to go to Florida, he gave me 10 days worth of prednisone.  I only took half but it brought the swelling & pain down a lot.  Once it wore off & I returned home I've been taking a lot of anti-inflammatory suppliments...MSM, Glucosamine  & Chondroitin, Curcumin from tumeric & boron...these have all been helping a lot!

Before I was in so much pain particularly the last 6 months that I had contemplated getting shots for my knee....hopefully whatever is working now continues!  It's such a relief to be pain free! 

I hope the shots continue to work for you!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   please excuse the interruption, I apologize to everyone

Please go to the Parkinson's thread. I think it is important that you read it

Honored Contributor

Re: Shots in my knees

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

I can't say that you in earlier years "taking your knees for granted", you now are paying the price. I can however say that my seeking a way to avoid physical problems(body parts not illness) when I was young DID PLAY an important role in saving my joints from most age issues.

Because of the athletics in which I participated(running and skating) I made sure to keep all muscles and connective tissues related to all joints in my legs, were both strong and very flexible.

To this day(almost 80) I have never had a leg joint issue, specifically the knee joint itself. While I did suffer from Patella Tendonitis for about 4 months in 1991-1992, that was not an injury to the joint itself. I belief it was from "overuse on the wrong terrain" that caused it.

Would everyone had done similar things when young, I believe fewer would be dealing with so much knee pain as the years flew by. I have no stats to quote, but I know and see from those around me, the results of this theory.

I have 3 good friends ages 82 and 83 that still ice skate/2 still ski, and do not or have never, had knee problems. Others much younger that have had many cortisone shots and Synvisc are all around me, unfortunately including my wife.

Me talking as usual!  😁

hckynut

hckynut(john)