Honored Contributor

I  am looking for some suggestions on how to find  for my mom,87 ,to get in to see one,i live in maine,she in Indiana, i posted about her having a rash under her bra line,it was said to be yeast, she was only able to see a nurse practitioner, her doctor has not been in for wks. she lives in a small town, she can not get in to see anyone, what is a person to do? Sorry, about no paragraphs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Look into seeing a naturopath.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   She could always go to an emergency room or urgent care. In some places that might be the only option. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Was the nurse practioner able to treat her?  My doctor's practice generally has the PA or CRNP treat routine matters.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The shortage of med personnel is a real problem. Two of my friends, who live in different small towns, have to travel hundreds of miles to get their medical care done. One of the friends told me several years ago that the only clinic in her town was going to close and it did just that prior to the pandemic. My other friend lives in a town with zero medical clinics or any local doctors. I can't imagine that. She's my age, too...68.

Respected Contributor

Rural areas are suffering from the loss of medical access. The larger cities and facilities are draining talent away from the smaller rural towns. A story concerning the problem was recently done by one of the San Antonio TV stations.

One replacement may be telemedicine. It seems like a possible solution for rural areas that have adequate internet. The fact that hospitalizations find patients seeing staff doctors (hospitalists) rather than their personal physician helps relieve the pressure of having a local PCP.

Perhaps your mom's Medicare provider can offer other suggestions or options. It is a frustrating situation and new territory for everyone involved.

Respected Contributor

Were you not satisfied with the nurse practitioner? My GYN is a nurse practitioner. I prefer her to doctors because she takes more time with me and I do not feel rushed. Any time my primary cannot see me I ask if there is a NP available.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Was the nurse practioner able to treat her?  My doctor's practice generally has the PA or CRNP treat routine matters.  

Yes, but 3 wks. later ,it is no better.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shortage of doctors

[ Edited ]

She is 87, not in good health, and her primary doctor,is not in very often ,they will not tell her why, and in my thinking she needs a doctor  at her age.

Honored Contributor

Nurse Practioners are seeing patients for everything.  They can treat, diagnose and prescribe just like a doctor.

I was in the hospital recently.  Except for my surgeon, all of the providers who saw me were NP.

They even work is specialized medicine, like cardiology and gynecology.

My niece is a NP and she is a hospitalist.

I am busty and have had yeast infections under my breasts, especially in the summer time.  I clean and dry the area and apply Neosporin.  That seems to solve the issue for me.  I even apply Neosporin before I breakout if I know it will be hot out and I will sweat.  

I hope your mother gets relief soon.