Respected Contributor

About a year ago I got (hastily) a set of prescription inserts.  NOT CHEAP!!  I hate them.  THey only fit into sneakers and they are hard as concrete.  I know they tell you break in time but sorry that is not working.

Can anyone recommend an insert that is pliable and useful to help support my flat feet?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shoe inserts for flat feet

I have had good luck with the brand Petals/Foot Petals. I found it on QVC/HSN. These are silicone with some self stick on the bottom. They stay in place. They are thin enough to layer if needed and wear well. I think they may available elsewhere.   

Valued Contributor

I think Vionic inserts are good, although a little high in price.   You can  get a set that includes 3/4 size that works for shoes that are more narrow in the toes and a regular length one.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I too have flat feet and my custom made arch supports killed my feet but soft ones squish down and are ineffective.  The Vionic footed has too high an arch and they hurt.  I've found a happy medium with Spenco arch supports.  They have some "give" in them and the arch is gentle.  I usually buy them when Zulily features Spenco. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I just got some and had to send them back for adjustment. You should ask where you purchased them.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    I will echo your suggestion.  I do have custom orthotics I can use in some shoes sometimes, but at my podiatrists suggestion I use Spenco inserts when the others are not okay.

Honored Contributor

My ortho guy also recommended Spenco.  I buy smaller than my size would indicate.  The heel is narrower and I don't have to cut anything off the toe area.  The first one I bought in my size has a heel that is too wide.  

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

About a year ago I got (hastily) a set of prescription inserts.  NOT CHEAP!!  I hate them.  THey only fit into sneakers and they are hard as concrete.  I know they tell you break in time but sorry that is not working.

Can anyone recommend an insert that is pliable and useful to help support my flat feet?

@bargainsgirl 

Back in the late '50's when I took the physical to join the United States Army, I was told I had flat feet, thus could not be drafted. I told them I was volunteering to join, not being drafted. So! I have very flat feet.

If I step out of the shower onto the mat, there are no gaps in the imprint of my feet. No arch nothing, just a full outline of each of my feet.

When you say "prescription inserts", were they made specifically for your feet, and if so, how? 

I have been wearing custom made hard Orthotics since the 1980's, same pair, just modified a couple times over the years. Wore them in my work shoes and in my at least 100 pair of running shoes.

My job involved being on my feet and lots of walking, any my training and running Road Races over 4 decades? Well over 300,000 miles on these Orthotics and still wearing them.

Mine were made primarily for my surgically damaged back, not my feet. I had 2 different Sports Podiatrists that worked together on them. They altered them several times because of my back issues.

I wore/wear them in every shoe I own. The only time I am on my feet without them is when I have my ice skates on my feet. They just never worked in any of my pairs of skates. I wore them in work shoes/dress shoes, and all my running shoes. Some dress shoes I had to remove the built-in insert so mine would fit well in them.

When I started wearing them I did it at work. Started at 1 hour/then 2 hours, and do on. That is how my feet and I both adjusted to the hard Orthotics. My Podiatrists both told me do this to let me feet, and all joints, get slowly acclimated to them. Wouldn't be without them, and I never go barefoot except in the shower.

There are many over the counter shoe inserts on the market, I tried several before going to the Custom Orthotics. They just didn't do it for me. Now? There are many new innovations in them so maybe there is 1 out there that would work for you. That I do not know, and believe the only way you can know is try them. Your flat feet are not my flat feet and vice versa. Your feet are unique, and what works for others?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl I also got rx inserts.  Horrible!!!!  For inserts, I've found Vionic 3/4 length work well for me.  And, they hold up.  Although,  I've found that some of the Bzees brand have a really good arch and they're washable.  Since quarantine that's pretty much all I wear at home.

Honored Contributor

I used to have really high arches and they started to flatten. So Vionics are perfect for me. So if you used to have higher arches or any of the issues the Vionic rep talks about all the time, Vionics might work for you too.

It sounds like Spencos are working for lots of people as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr