Contributor

Re: Shingles Vaccine/ Tricare Prime

They should lower the age recommendation. I am 57 and just got over my third nasty Shingles outbreak. This one wasn't quite as bad as the other two previous, but still not fun. My Shopko pharmacy does the shots at $200. I have not yet checked with my insurance, but will ask my doctor when I seem him in early summer. I also was told by the pharmacist and a nurse, that because I have now had three confirmed outreaks, I am at a 60% chance of getting them again and that I should get the shot.

Honored Contributor

Good to hear since there is nothing magic about 60 when it comes to Shingles. I had my shot at 50 because two women I know had Shingles and neither was anywhere near 60 years old. I was prepared to pay for it myself but my Blue Cross did cover it.

Frequent Contributor

be sure to go to the doctor right away to get the medicine for it!!!!!! Also calamine lotion helps a lot to take the sting away. I went through 4 bottles, but worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Having had Shingles, and going through asking people to rub something on areas of my back I could not reach, I have to wonder why some medical genius hasn't come up with a spray that will work as well as any of the cream "remedies" they suggest. A spray on would be so much more convenient, and not cause others to have to touch this "stuff". Even with latex gloves on, it's gross!!!!

Super Contributor

Please check with your health insurance and see what location your shingles vaccination is covered in. Ours was ONLY covered when given at a pharmacy. If we would have had it done in the Dr's office, we could have had to pay full price for this vaccine.

Super Contributor

We have tricare as well,paid for mine when i was in my 50s now im in 60s.
Honored Contributor

My Mother had Shingles. My Vet's wife had Shingles. He was after me for more than a year to get the shot.

I finally did this past Winter. I thought I was getting the Flu shot and got the Shingles so I said, OK, now I need the Flu shot. So I got both at the same time at COSTCO.

I think it was the Shingles shot cost me a few dollars. I have Medicare and AARP. I don't remember what it was. I want to say maybe 40 or 50$

Occasional Contributor

I have a family member with shingles on the scalp. How do I wash pillowcases and sheets? Will it spread to other clothing put in washer after that load? Do I need to disinfect the washing machine between loads?

Contributor

I am getting over shingles and now it has triggered Guillian Barre Syndrome. This is an immune disease where the body attacks the covering of the nerves. I have had this 4 times before. Am very nervous and weak. It takes about a year for the body to repair the nerves that were damaged. Please pray that I will have a mild case this time.