Valued Contributor

Shingles! Get your vaccination.

I am getting over a (luckily) minor outbreak of shingles, and believe me, it's not fun. I've heard that anyone over 50 should get their vaccination. I'm well over that, but unfortunately, my doctor dissuaded me from getting the vac last year. Big mistake! The PA at the Minute clinic I visited said "he should have given it to you."

Painful, itchy rash. I do have an anti-viral prescription and I think it's slowly healing, but I didn't need two weeks of this in a hot summer.

BTW, it's contagious if someone touches the rash -- another good reason to wash any new clothes you buy before wearing them. You never know what skin conditions someone might have had!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shingles! Get your vaccination.

When the vaccine first came out, my doctor recommended I get it. I had a slight reaction for one day (aches and fever) which is nothing compared to what some of my friends have exprienced. I have even heard of singles cases where damage is permanent. I'm glad I got the shot.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last year I went to get my shingles shot at walgreens. I paid the copay and filled out the paperwork and then the pharmacist came out and said she would not give it to me because of my latex allergy. She said to discuss it with my doctor. when I did he recommended I did not need it because of being an ICU nurse he felt I had probably been exposed to the virus many times caring for patients with varicella pneumonia so I had probably already gotten renewed immunity from that. I hope he is correct. 

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately I am one of those for whom the damage is permanent. I have nerve endings in my back that are affected - sting, burn,and itch constantly. I had Shingles over two years ago. `I am told this is a permanent condition.

I did not get a Shingles shot. I have allergies to many medications.  It was suggested by one doctor that I get one when the rash seemed to be gone, and not to get the shot by another. I think they really don't know yet. I have two cousins in other states, both of whom have had the shot and get shingles repeatedly - at least once a year. They have been given the shot more than once. It does not work for either of them.

My Dermatologist calls it a c**p shoot.  What works for some does not work for others. All you can do is go by the directions of the person you trust most.

DH and DD took care of me when I was so ill. There was at least one month that I do not remember - I ran high fevers and was just out of it.  Neither of them had the shot and neither got Shingles from me. I was very ill for a full two months before the Shingles broke out - no one could figure out what was wrong, even after extensive blood work. My best suggestion to everyone is follow your personal physician's advice.  He or she knows you best.

Respected Contributor

Shingles tend to attack when your body's immunity has been compromised, or is just getting weaker due to aging.  After two months of high fevers, I'd say the shingles was a result of the illness, rather than the cause of it.

I had a dear neighbor who was very vibrant and healthy for an 89-year-old. She had never had shingles.  Unfortunately, she had a rather serious auto accident that left her in the hospital for an extended time with many broken bones, etc.  She suddently started complaining about severe pain on her side, and no one could figure out what was wrong until they looked at her skin and saw the awful rash.  The poor woman just couldn't recover from all of it and passed away a few months after the accident.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

If you have an autoimmune disease you are not supposed to get the shingles vaccine,

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

My husband and I got our shots about 4 years ago, after my mother had a bad case of shingles. My insurance company wasn't covering the shot until after age 60, so I paid for it out of my pocket, which was nearly $200.
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Unfortunately I am one of those for whom the damage is permanent. I have nerve endings in my back that are affected - sting, burn,and itch constantly. I had Shingles over two years ago. `I am told this is a permanent condition.

I did not get a Shingles shot. I have allergies to many medications.  It was suggested by one doctor that I get one when the rash seemed to be gone, and not to get the shot by another. I think they really don't know yet. I have two cousins in other states, both of whom have had the shot and get shingles repeatedly - at least once a year. They have been given the shot more than once. It does not work for either of them.

My Dermatologist calls it a c**p shoot.  What works for some does not work for others. All you can do is go by the directions of the person you trust most.

DH and DD took care of me when I was so ill. There was at least one month that I do not remember - I ran high fevers and was just out of it.  Neither of them had the shot and neither got Shingles from me. I was very ill for a full two months before the Shingles broke out - no one could figure out what was wrong, even after extensive blood work. My best suggestion to everyone is follow your personal physician's advice.  He or she knows you best.

Unfortunately, my DH also suffers permanent nerve damage that started on the one side of his neck with radiation of pain all the way down to his fingertips that have now become permanent numb.  EVERY time he tries to button his shirt or pick up a coin, he cannot!  It is only on one side but, it is painful and it is permanent.

The vaccine is a krapp shoot but, I'll take the injection and have taken it.

Frequent Contributor

DO NOT get the shingles shot if you have a compromised immune system!  It is a live virus and will trigger the virus.  My doctor told me this.  I had shingles in 1985 when I was 34.  I hope I don't ever have them again!!!

Honored Contributor

I am a type 1 diabetic. I got shingles back when I was 30. It was a very light case, thankfully. I just got a shingles shot last winter when I turned 60. With all the talk about shingles now I certainly don't want it again! I guess you can say I have a compromised immune system (diabetic) and my doctor didn't hesitate to prescibe this vaccine for me. Please ladies just read these posts for entertainment, any medical decisions about your health should be discussed with your doctor.

"Pure Michigan"