Honored Contributor

Re: Shine in Chickenfat Commercial?

This thread is telling...everyone knows the song, but not the product. I, too, have never heard of the product, but it IS a beautiful tracking device. Surprised this didn't take off...much more wearable than the FitBit. I guess it depends on who gets out of the starting blocks the quickest! I don't see people wearing tracking devices 2+yrs from now, so you better 'make hay while he sun's shining"! The Shine could be worn as a pretty necklace/pendant way after the fad has past.

Honored Contributor

Apple, which is reportedly starting to move more of its TV advertising efforts in-house, released "Strength" only a few days after it demonstrated HealthKit, a collection of apps that will come bundled with iOS 8 that allow users to keep track of their fitness data. HealthKit apps can share your personal information between each other, meaning users of the apps and devices in Apple's latest ad will be able to build up a detailed picture of their overall fitness. To provide motivation, the ad is set to Robert Preston's "Chicken Fat," a song that was used to spur American children on during school gym classes in the 1960s.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/5/5781770/apple-iphone-ad-strength-fitness-with-wearables-and-apps

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

sidsmom, what you said is true. I saw a show about the difference between a good commercial and one that isn't.

This came about when people complained about Bob and the ETrade commercial. ETrade got rid of the Bob commercials. People were very upset.

Then it came about that people loved Bob but couldn't tell you what the commercial was 'selling'.

This must be true with the chickenbutt or chickenfat (whatever the commercial says).

There are quite a few (mostly as a matter of fact) commercials these days that are just too clever for their own good.

Think about this. Kleenex is a brand name. Yet everyone says, "Hand me a Kleenex". They managed to do two things a commercial must do.

They were able to make people connect with the fact that one needs a tissue and when they need a tissue use a Kleenex.

Unfortunately I don't think chickenfat or chickenbutt is going to do that.

Just because there are a lot of stupid people like me out there. I'm a TV nut. I don't have time to waste on commercials (FF over them). So you only have a few seconds then I'm gone.

Honored Contributor

I love the commercial & the song. Brings back memories for me, too!

No, I don't have it - had no clue what the ad was for. Just did a search to see. I thought it was some kind of phone.

I like the fact that it can be worn on one's wrist or on clothing as well s that it is waterproof. I am certain I would wear it concealed. I am not generally interested in starting conversations with people about the fact that I track my activity.

I don't care for the display being so simplistic and pretty much in code. Definitely a novelty that would have very limited appeal.

Super Contributor

The song doesn't make sense. Who or what is the "chicken fat"?

Oh well, it was before my time.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

fat on the body = what they called chicken fat. For the purpose of rhyming no doubt.