Honored Contributor

Please don't ask for advice here. Call and get in with your doctor and go from there. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Hi @Pasta Lover-

I agree with so many others to see a podiatrist, esp. if your xrays showed no fractures.

They are so much more familiar with diagnosing and treating problems with the foot.

I've had lots of things that were very painful on both feet.

The one you describe sounds like a "stress fracture" I had once which is not always seen on an xray. I did wear a boot which helped.

A good podiatrist and I've been to many will use every conservative method they can before even mentioning surgery.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I would skip your doctor and see an orthopedist who specializes in feet.  I would do that before and instead of seeing a podiatrist.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I would skip your doctor and see an orthopedist who specializes in feet.  I would do that before and instead of seeing a podiatrist.

@NickNack

I would agree. Then again, I'm married to an orthopedict surgeon who specializes in feet.

@Pasta Lover

Any updates?

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear about your pain.  There is a quick way to determine if it is plantar fasciitis.  If you have a tile or stone floor in your home, step onto that cold flooring and see if the pain immediately subsides upon standing on that surface with your bare feet.  That's actually how my condition was initially diagnosed by a podiatrist.  I had told him that I would suddenly limp after getting out of bed onto the carpeted, soft floor, feeling a lot of pain in both arches of my feet, and then both of my feet would suddenly feel much better as soon as I stood on my hard, bathroom ceramic tiles.  I told him that it made no sense to me that hard, unyielding floor tiles would make my feet feel better than carpet. He knew immediately what I had, and said it was the coldness of the tiles that gave me the sense of pain relief, and then he tested me to further confirm his suspected diagnosis, by asking me to position and stretch my feet in different directions.

Has your doctor ruled out a blood clot? That is another possibility for a sharp, unexpected pain, such as yours.  As you know, pain is an indication that something is wrong.  A full workup is in order by a medical professional to rule out all possibilities.

All the best to you.  Limping around is never fun.  I got off easily with specific foot stretches, customized shoe inserts, and time.  I hope it is something simple and easy to fix for you.

Frequent Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I woukd too @NickNack@Pasta Lover hope you find relief!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sharp Pain In Left Foot

[ Edited ]

@Pasta Lover- Hi Linda,  so sorry to hear your going through this.  Last winter I had what sounds like the same thing.  I went through Xray's and MRI's in the ER also many doctors appt's to no avail.  Mine ended up being a small cyst on the outer edge of my left foot.   I really think you need to see a podiatist right away don't waste any more of your time with doctors it's not in their field.  I know how painful it is and it won't go away until something is done about it.  I ended up having to have it removed.   I went through seven months in utter pain with it.  There were times I just could't do anything the pain was so bad.  You  may have something all together different but boy it sure sounds like the same thing and it's not going to go away on it's own.  I hope you make an appt. with a podiatist post haste and it all works out for you.   Good Luck  !!!