Trusted Contributor

I know of people who have had the cough linger for a couple months, yet they are negative of the covid. Considering this, it would be hard for some people to stay away from work when they are not contagious. 

Some education and understanding from the co-workers is badly needed here. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you are receiving THE SCARLET LETTER treatment from your co-workers.  I am glad you spoke up!  I know that things will get better for you soon.  You will survive this.

Obviously, there are people out there who are ignorant about the science of this virus.  No excuse for that.  And even worse, there are people who are ignorant and cruel about their treatment of others.  No excuse for that either.

It’s a shame management was not proactive in this situation.

To have assembled folks, explained how someone needs to prove by two tests they are ok before going back to work, etc.

It was a lost opportunity to learn and, worst yet, to raise the expectation of humane treatment.  My best wishes to you!

Esteemed Contributor

I will be honest and say that I would be apprehensive about being near someone who has had Covid, and I think that a lot of others would be too, whether they want to admit it or not, especially if they are still coughing.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@pegsue wrote:

Thank you for your responses.  Yes, I did everything I was/am supposed to do and continue to.  And yet at that office there are several people running around socializing and bragging the next day where they were last night and don't have the covid yet.....and that's accepted!  

Going back to this post - obviously, these people are idiots and know nothing about Covid. Those are the people I would shun.  Those are the people who would go in if they were sick because they care little for others. Like others said, you are probably the safest person to be around now!

Really, if everyone was so concerned about Covid, the office should all be working from home, going in as needed.  It's a office with lawyers - you could zoom most meetings.  Otherwise, you should all be wearing masks when around others and practicing social distancing.  Are they providing hand sanitizer?  Have they implemented any protocols?  Take employee temperature before they go in?

I completely understand your later comment about coughing.  Even if I don't get too sick, I keep my cough for months.  Post nasal drip.  Ugh.  But, if you are wearing a mask (as the office should be when around others), have a negative test, and cough into your elbow, should be a non-issue.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I will be honest and say that I would be apprehensive about being near someone who has had Covid, and I think that a lot of others would be too, whether they want to admit it or not, especially if they are still coughing.

I have to agree. Someone who's coughing and has had COVID, frankly, should not be in close contact with others, IMO. I would be more than uneasy about having to work with someone under those conditions.

While there's no excuse for brutish behavior by co-workers, the managers have an obligation to make EVERYONE feel safe, and they're not doing that. I don't recall having read of the OP having multiple negative tests--the kind that aren't plagued with as many false negatives as others-- or any negative tests, for that matter. Too little is still known about this virus for anyone to credibly say when anyone is "safe," least of all a nonmedical person. The employees should be distancing and masking, regardless.

Valued Contributor

@pegsue  I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation as you recover from such a dreadful disease. If it’s any comfort to you I can tell you from personal experience as a cancer survivor as well as having been an oncology and hospice nurse that there is a segment of people who react with rejection and/or anger when confronted with serious illness or disability.

It sounds unbelievable but I came to the understanding that it all stems from fear; fear of death, fear that the same misfortune could befall them, and, of course, it could and eventually will. Instead of confronting their own issues they turn away or worse, react with anger. Couple that with the politicization of a disease and the ugly mood of the country right now and there you have it.

I have a brilliant younger friend who suffered a stroke at age 28. She pushed through her rehab for many months and was able to return to her Masters Degree level job in which she excelled. Some of the coworkers started talking down to her as if she were a child and using very loud voices as if she were deaf! There was never an impairment in her cognitive abilities and she later scored the highest in her state when she took a promotional exam. Sadly, ignorance is common and seems to be on the rise.

Be brave@pegsue  I am thrilled you have survived and have faith that you will endure. Blessings!

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Anonymous032819  You wouldn't believe how many people my husband knows who've had it. They have all been tested, done quarantine or unfortunately died. None are coughing. You couldn't go out in our town if you didn't want to be around anyone who had. Latest is my niece's fiancé's Grandfather, he died, now his Mother has it. 

Husband found out yesterday his close friend and his daughter have it.  The friend has been bartending! Good luck to all he served.

Honored Contributor

@pegsue 

I know exactly how you feel. We followed the directives from our County Board of Health when the test came back positive. We quarantied for 14 days even though they said 10. I did a deep cleaning of everything in the house that we touch. And did alot of washing with Lysol and Clorox.

A month after we were quarantined, I got my hair cut. I was talking to the woman cutting my hair and said that we had Covid a month earlier and had quarantined for 2 weeks. Thought I would be honest. 

I did not expect her reaction. She literally ran away and didn't say a word. I was sitting in the chair with my hair half cut. After about 10 minutes of just sitting there, I was ready to walk away. I did not think she was coming back. Well, finally she did come back. She put sanitizer on every exposed area of her face (yes, we both were wearing masks), arms and hands. Plus she put band aids on her fingers.

After that display, I don't think I am going to admit to any one, I do not know that I had Covid. I am due for another hair cut. She gave a great haircut but not sure she can handle being around me again.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have to agree. Someone who's coughing and has had COVID, frankly, should not be in close contact with others, IMO. I would be more than uneasy about having to work with someone under those conditions.

While there's no excuse for brutish behavior by co-workers, the managers have an obligation to make EVERYONE feel safe, and they're not doing that. I don't recall having read of the OP having multiple negative tests--the kind that aren't plagued with as many false negatives as others-- or any negative tests, for that matter. Too little is still known about this virus for anyone to credibly say when anyone is "safe," least of all a nonmedical person. The employees should be distancing and masking, regardless.

How long would you expect people that have tested positive, followed the quarantine guidelines and still have a cough to stay home?  The cough could linger for a while.  It could also take weeks or months to test negative even though someone is no longer contagious.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

How long would you expect people that have tested positive, followed the quarantine guidelines and still have a cough to stay home?  The cough could linger for a while.  It could also take weeks or months to test negative even though someone is no longer contagious.

How do you know that "someone is no longer contagious"?

You don't. 

I'd rather hurt someone's feelings, especially someone who may have returned to work prematurely, than get infected myself. 

I instinctively step away from people who've been  socializing without masks or distancing or live in households with workers or someone who's sick or been sick. I live alone and several animals depend on me for their care. I cannot afford to get sick and I apologize to NO ONE for behaving very cautiously until we build up solid data, which will take many more months of this, on how the virus behaves.

Let's not forget, too, that we're not talking about one virus alone. We're now talking about mutations that could behave differently. If they're more contagious, what would prevent them from being more persistent and rendering someone infectious longer?

This is a horrible situation and I am truly sorry that the OP had COVID-19 and had a bad experience upon returning to work. But pretending that we know more than we do and behaving unwisely is simply stupid.