Trusted Contributor

Re: Severe bruising and hematoma after stereotactic breast biopsy

I’m glad you didn’t just take the medical assistants word for it and made sure your doctor knew what was going on.  

Valued Contributor

AFter seeing my medical doctor yesterday, I had the ultrasound she ordered today and the technician was so very nice. I then got to see the radiologist who explained everything that the surgeon did not. He was kind, reassuring and thorough. That is what we all deserve. I now understand why the biopsy was done, more about the procedure itself and he went over the pathology report in detail. I viewed the ultrasound images and he explained the location and size of the hemotoma. He did not see anything of concern.  I feel so relieved and at ease.  My medical doctor's office called me this afternoon after receving the report and said to continue the moist heat and let them know if any changes with the incision.

I remain grateful there is no cancer, but we all deserve to have our questions and concerns answered. I will never really know if something was done incorrectly to cause the severe bruising or why information was not forthcoming when I asked but I will not return to that facility again. It was a bad experience all the way around, except for knowing there is no cancer..

Thank you all for the support. Be your own advocate and trust your instincts. Not everyone is as honest as they should be.

Esteemed Contributor

@Theresa1121  I'm glad you're doing better.  some doctors can be very dismissive, especially if they make a mistake.  

Super Contributor

I kinda had a reaction to a breast biopsy similar the bruising and hematoma.  Come find out I had taken  "Aleve" for a couple of days before.   They blamed it on that.  

Valued Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

I kinda had a reaction to a breast biopsy similar the bruising and hematoma.  Come find out I had taken  "Aleve" for a couple of days before.   They blamed it on that.  

The instructions are to stop any mediation that could be thinning to the blood 5 days prior such as Advil, Warfarin, Fidh Oil, and I am not sure about Aleve.

When I called with questions and concerns and thought I should be seen, I was told "you take fish oil." I hadn't had any in almost two weeks as had a colonoscopy 3 days before this biopsy and stopped it the week before for both procedures. I feel my condition after the biiopsy was not typical and I just wanted more information or reassurance. I did not get that which made me more anxious. It is getting better by the day, the compresses really help and pain at the incision site still.