Valued Contributor

Severe bruising and hematoma after stereotactic breast biopsy

My yearly mammogram showed a cluster of calcium deposits and my doctor suggested a breast biopsy. Thankfully the results were negative but what an experience!

Laying on the table almost 40 minutes is difficult and the pain after the local wore off that night was not fun. The bruising is terrible, more than 3/4 of my breast is dark purple and the incision was not closed when the steri-stips came off. I called the doctor last Monday with concerns of all the brusing and a lump in the incision area and she just said they would check it at my appointment for results on Thusday. All doctor said was that I had trauma to that breast previsouly. I said I didn't.

So a lump is there and I am to apply warm compresses. Area is still very sore and I worry about infection. I was sent on my way and to return in 6 months for a repeat mammo and office visit. I feel they were not very attentive to all of this bruising, incision not together and the hematoma should be checking in a few days, not 6 months.

Anyone else have this issue with the Stereotactic biopsy?

Contributor

Re: Severe bruising and hematoma after stereotactic breast biopsy

@Theresa1121 wrote:

My yearly mammogram showed a cluster of calcium deposits and my doctor suggested a breast biopsy. Thankfully the results were negative but what an experience!

Laying on the table almost 40 minutes is difficult and the pain after the local wore off that night was not fun. The bruising is terrible, more than 3/4 of my breast is dark purple and the incision was not closed when the steri-stips came off. I called the doctor last Monday with concerns of all the brusing and a lump in the incision area and she just said they would check it at my appointment for results on Thusday. All doctor said was that I had trauma to that breast previsouly. I said I didn't.

So a lump is there and I am to apply warm compresses. Area is still very sore and I worry about infection. I was sent on my way and to return in 6 months for a repeat mammo and office visit. I feel they were not very attentive to all of this bruising, incision not together and the hematoma should be checking in a few days, not 6 months.

Always....Always get a second opinion whever an invasive procedure is recommended by a physician...sometimes the procedure is not needed at all....just saying....

Super Contributor

yes, I had a sterotactic breast biopsy and your symtoms are similiar to what I experienced.  However, I wasn't as fortunate as you, my biopsy was positive and I did have follow up sugery.  When the surgery was done I had mastitious.  The mastitious was from an infection that occured following the biopsy.  Please insist on seeing your Dr. again.  There could be an infection in that breast.  Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121 Sorry this has happnened to you, I have had this procedure and did not have any adverse reaction....I wonder (like you) what could have happened...

Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry you had problems with yours. I had that procedure done. I will be a 6 year breast cancer survivor in May. Mine was just a small cluster they called it DCIS. My breast bruised a little, but the whole experience was painful. My doctor said it more painful for women with denser breast.I had a really good doctor. He apologized when they had to go back and performed a 2nd biopsy to remove the lump. He never dreamed it would come back cancerous or he would have got it all the 1st time. But I'm curious normally they put a titanium chip in to mark the spot to mark it so they know where to go if they have to go back in. Did they do that and if so have they removed it?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@char1976 wrote:

I'm sorry you had problems with yours. I had that procedure done. I will be a 6 year breast cancer survivor in May. Mine was just a small cluster they called it DCIS. My breast bruised a little, but the whole experience was painful. My doctor said it more painful for women with denser breast.I had a really good doctor. He apologized when they had to go back and performed a 2nd biopsy to remove the lump. He never dreamed it would come back cancerous or he would have got it all the 1st time. But I'm curious normally they put a titanium chip in to mark the spot to mark it so they know where to go if they have to go back in. Did they do that and if so have they removed it?

They put a clip in and I had a mammogram after the biopsy to check the position of it. I assumed it would just stay there.

I am livid at how this brusing and pain was downplayed. I am using warm compressing which is soothing and the steristrips had come off and now incision bleeding a bit. I worry about infection and one would think the doctor would have wanted to see me again before six months. I sure as heck will not be returning in 6 months and will treat elsewhere. 

I truly am grateful the results were good but even the pathology report, which was never explained to me and states fori4gn body giant cell reaction, consistent with healing fat necrosis. The doctor nonchalantly stated that I must have had previous trauma to this breast and I said no I didn't. (I was bruised by the magnification mammo I had after the initial one three days prior. That was awful too and done at another facility). Bad experience all the way around.

I think I need to be examined by another physician for peace of mind and not sure how one would feel seeing me because I question the doctor who performed this biopsy.

Important detail is that this was done a new office with new equipment and new team. I think I was a guinia pig.

Valued Contributor

@RUBE wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Always....Always get a second opinion whever an invasive procedure is recommended by a physician...sometimes the procedure is not needed at all....just saying....

Yes, I should have but I had no idea this procedure could turn out like this. The cluster of calcifications is an indication of possible DCIS with 85% being ok so I really didn't think the procedure was anything major but have read it is ordered in excess.

Trusted Contributor

Please make an appointment immediately with another doctor. Call your GP, explain what you’re going thru and ask them to send you to someone else. If you can’t get an appointment right away either go to the ER or walk in clinic. 

Frequent Contributor

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy well over ten years ago.  The doctor was fantastic that did the procedure.  She did put a stitch in that had to be removed a few days later.  I do not remember a lot of bruising or pain after the procedure but for several weeks afterwards I would experience shooting pains in the breast.  I was told it had to do with all my nerve endings being traumatized.   My end result was I head atypical cells in the breast and had surgery shortly afterwards to have them removed.  I thought I would encounter a lot of the same pain after the surgery but not a thing !  I went directly to the hospital for mammogram follow up every six months for a year.  When I had the all clear I was able to go back to an annual schedule at the women's health center.

Esteemed Contributor

If you have had it examined and the incision is closed and not infected, then you are fine.  Biopsies can be rough on the body.  Be thankful it is not cancer.