Respected Contributor

Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash help me.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@I am still oxox 

It doesn't sounds nuts to me.  Hospitals have dry air.  I have dry lips and a dry throat just from visiting people there.

Your so right. I am retired from a hospital, everyone carried chaplips gel in their pockets. Ask your Dr for a humidifier next time your a patient, I worked in inhalation therapy, and I'd tell patients to ask their Dr to order them one.

Honored Contributor

Biotene works short term for me, DH says it does nothing for him, but the CPAP does.  

Honored Contributor

I am finding Biotene too sweet so I am drinking a lot of water and cutting out my antihistimine 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I would be interested in knowing the name of the prescription you take for dry mouth.  My husband has this as a result of having a bone marrow transplant.  It has done a real number on his teeth.  Who would think cavities at 75?  Hey, at least he is alive, thank you dear Lord.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs It is called "Cevimeline HCL 30 MG Capsule.

I take 1 capsule 3 times a day.  I also have adreneline problems going on so this stuff works extra hard with me.

I sometimes have terrible dry mouth if I forget to take the 3.  I sometimes will take 2 and just forget about the one during the middle of the day.

It does work though.  Make sure it doesn't affect some of his other medicines.  I get a three month supply at once.

Please come back on in a few weeks and let me know if it works for him.  It will probably take a little time for it to start working.

My dentist took down the name of it and gave it to his Uncle.

Dry mouth plays terrible havoc on the teeth.  People just take it all for granted.

Although if you read the labels of lots of medicines a lot of them will say, "causes dry mouth".

Just say @Annabellethecat66  so I don't miss it.  Good luck, I hope it works.  Stay safe,

Annabelle/Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Annabellethecat66 .  We will ask his dentist about it.  He doesn't take any other meds.  

TA

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  If he doesn't take any other meds that's interesting.

Has he ever mentioned it when he's been to the Drs for a checkup?  

His body might be telling him something is wrong and the dry mouth is telling him isn't quite right.

With many people (like myself) it's partially the result of medicine.

However it can be the result of adrenal  problem.  The test for it is to check the cortisol in people.  Three times I've tried to put the gauze in my mouth (between 10:45 PM) and 3 times I haven't made enough spit to have it be examined.

Every time I go to the thyroid Dr he says, "I haven't gotten the results yet".  Well, that's because I've had this test kit for 1 year now and STILL haven't done it again.

I think adrenial problems are kinda rare but I had to have my thyroid removed and my Dr thinks I might be having other problems.

When he goes for a checkup he should mention it.  Just mention it.  Wouldn't hurt.  Don't let Dr blow him off like some Drs do when a person says they have really bad dry mouth.

It's one of those things that unless you have it people don't know how very uncomfortable it is.  Sometimes my mouth won't go over my teeth.  It sounds like I'm drunk and I don't drink.  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   His dry mouth and dry eyes are side effects of having a bone marrow transplant.  He had it in 2009 and it totally cured him.  He has one sibling, a sister.  She was a perfect match.  He had cancer for ten years prior and this was his last hope.  It worked and he is totally cured.  Now he has dry mouth and dry eyes.  It is the only residual effect he has from the transplant.  While it is a hassle to have  tooth decay at age 75, he is eternally grateful to have this second chance at life.  He is one of the fortunate ones.  He takes NO drugs.  We will run this by his dentist.  

Have you suffered any of the side effects from this drug?

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

ACT spray helps me a LOT.  Keeps mouth moist and freshens breath, too.