Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Given your daughter's mental health history, it sounds like she is looking for an emotional support dog/animal.

Emotional support dogs are dogs that provide comfort and support in forms of affection and companionship for an individual suffering from various mental and emotional conditions.

Check out wwwdotcertapetdotcom/emotional-support-animal

@panda1234 

Actually with the new information, a service animals may be a better choice.  Service animals are not limited to physical conditions.  The dog would be matched and trained to help her deal with things that are specific to her condition. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Given your daughter's mental health history, it sounds like she is looking for an emotional support dog/animal.

Emotional support dogs are dogs that provide comfort and support in forms of affection and companionship for an individual suffering from various mental and emotional conditions.

Check out wwwdotcertapetdotcom/emotional-support-animal

@panda1234 

@qbetzforreal  Thank you, I did check this out. Support dogs do not have the same "rights" as service dogs. They can be denied access to places a service dog would be able to go. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Research is the first thing. I'm not sure this is the answer for your daughter.

Yes, research needs to be done by her as soon as she is up for it. @AuntG 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would think that would be a topic that would be discussed with a physician, and done only on the recommendation of a doctor.  Then there would be a specific agency and process to accommodate specific needs. 

Otherwise, you are talking about a pet. 

@Sooner  Yes, you are right this would be a very expensive "family pet". All of her doctors believe this could be a life changing thing for her.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Foxxee  My daughter is adopted and inherited bipolar, schizophrenia along with the depression and anxiety. She is what they call treatment resistant meaning none of the meds work for her, they do nothing. So, having a service dog is something we have not tried yet and it doesn’t involve meds. This is a huge commitment for all of us, financially and emotionally.

I didn’t post details because  I don’t like my post to be so long that people don’t want to read it. I do want to thank you for your response explaining why you felt the way you did.

It is not necessary for you to divulge very personal information about your daughter to strangers on a shopping forum. Her diagnosis/medical histiory is no one's business! 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky