Respected Contributor

Senior Discount at the Dentist

Just want to note here that, unasked, my dentist is giving me a "10% senior discount" for the bill for my filling, which is not covered by the little add-on policy I bought to enhance the benefits of my Advantage medical insurance.

Thought anyone paying for procedures not covered by their insurance might want to see if the practice offers a senior discount as well. I'd never have thought to ask. Ten percent doesn't seem like much, but on crowns and root canals, it could be a nice chunk of change.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Senior Discount at the Dentist

I'm a senior and don't have dental insurance - as buying dental insurance as an individual is too expensive. I also pay with a check - or cash. 5% discount for not having insurance and 5% discount for paying cash = 10%. My dentist is one of the best (great dental office) - and their prices are more than reasonable. Prior to going to this dentist 6 yrs ago - I went to another dentist (who I didn't feel comfortable with) - and he was more expensive. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have any dental insurance and my dentist gives me a discount. I so appreciate it.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

My dentist gives a discount also, which I appreciate.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI, I have the Cigna Plus Savings Plan. It is a reduced fee plan. The yearly cost is $143.00. It gives me a 25% or more discount on my dentist visits. I used to have Delta Dental but it was costing me $600.00 a year. They paid very little on my claims and I ended up paying more than what it was costing me for the insurance. They would let the dentist know what the reasonable fee was and then the dentist would adjust their bill. It never made much sense to me and it was hard to terminate this policy.

Respected Contributor

@elated wrote:

FYI, I have the Cigna Plus Savings Plan. It is a reduced fee plan. The yearly cost is $143.00. It gives me a 25% or more discount on my dentist visits. I used to have Delta Dental but it was costing me $600.00 a year. They paid very little on my claims and I ended up paying more than what it was costing me for the insurance. They would let the dentist know what the reasonable fee was and then the dentist would adjust their bill. It never made much sense to me and it was hard to terminate this policy.

That looks pretty good if you don't have any coverage. My little add-on plan gives me two cleanings and a set of X-rays, but without that plan, I'd be calling my dentist's office tomorrow to see if he participates (his partner is listed).

Honored Contributor

For cleanings and simple procedures my dentist takes what insurance pays him. For more expensive - my insurance pays half but he turns in a higher amount to them then gives us a discount on our half. We do pay $50/month for dental insurance which seems like a lot until you need to have an expensive procedure.

Honored Contributor

My mom never had dental insurance and her dentist always gave her 10% off.

Honored Contributor

What timing on this thread.  My dentist as always given a 5% discount if you pay cash or check and a 5% Sr. discount.  Just last week the day after my visit I noticed on my receipt I got a 10% instead of 5% cash discount.  My first reaction is Oh no, Karen made a mistake, then absolute horror (I am 55), then well this is kind of nice.  I copied out the receipt and wrote a note to her about my boom boom back to back emotions and how she was the first ever to give me a Sr. discount.  She called me this past Monday laughing saying that due to my dentist thinking my 8:00 appt. was at 9:00 and I had to wait for him to drive in the 30 minutes he wanted me to have an extra discount.  So to not screw up her computer program that was how they listed it.  The correct age will be 65.  We all still laughed but I told her I would have been looking happily for it on my next visit.

His Daddy was my dentist when he was a boy so we have had some laughs over the decades.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After I retired in 2010 and no longer had dental insurance, a staff person in my dentist's office recommended Dental Save ... it's not insurance, but a discount plan.  You can check their website to see if your dentist participates.

For a senior citizen, it costs $85 a year.  With a minimum of two cleanings a year, and one full set of x-rays ... it more than pays for itself.  AND ... I always have something that needs to be "fixed."

In 2015, I had four veneers, and 2016 all my upper and lower front teeth were bonded. due to thinning enamel.  Saved a fortune! 

ETA:  Just want to add - bonding is terrific!   My teeth look fantastic.