Honored Contributor

Re: Selecting New Eyeglass Frames

I always  read hat glasses frames should follow face shape.

Google it.

Instructions to Choose Eyeglasses

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I never heard that ....

I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old .... I've been retired 12 years ...so you can calculate how long that's been, and how many pairs of glasses I've worn in all those years.  (It's fun looking at old pictures ... seeing the various "eyeglass phases" I went through!)

I don't follow any "rules."  I usually try on a LOT of frames, and pick out the color and shape of the frames that I like the best that day.  

I recently donated a drawer full of old eyeglasses .... every shape and color. 

---------------------------------------

@ECBG wrote:

I always  read hat glasses frames should follow face shape.

Google it.

Instructions to Choose Eyeglasses

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

Years ago I remember seeing the charts of face shape and glasses shape in magazines like Glamour.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

When I was in my 20's and getting my first pair of prescription glasses for close work, I was told that women should keep in mind that "eyeglasses are jewelry for the face".

It has influenced every eyeglass decision I have ever made ... for readers or sunglasses, in addition to prescription glasses.

Honored Contributor

Try on a bunch of frames and when you think "I LIKE that!" get it.  Face shape charts and not always true, neither are any other frame rules.

I have a very small pale face and have had very light hair for years--blonde to platinum blonde.  Dark fames are the ones that look best on me by far.  All who have helped chose agree. You'll try on one that feels good and looks good and you like--buy 'em! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My reading & computer glasses have all been tortoise shell (brown/umber/gold) to go w/ my blonde hair, brownish eyes and neutral skin tone. I've purchased all but one pair of reading glasses from COSTCO. The one time I did not I about had a heart attack when I got the bill for the glasses and frames. 

With my sunglasses I do go more wild w/ the colors ... right now favorite are black and white that @monicakm recommended on a beauty thread. I've sold more of those sunglasses this summer. LOL.

(And no the picture below is not me. I am only about 40 years older.)

sunglasses white.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

How cool!  But what's not cool is that I've apparently lost mine in this style.  I still have my b&w pair from Brighton.  I loved those glasses.  I might have to break down and order another pair and as soon as I do, I'll find the ones I lost lol  I sure do like yours in b&w tho.  Hummm

These are the ones I can't find.

FIMILU Sunglasses for Women Trendy Polarized Sunglasses Oversized Big Sun Glasses Ladies Shades UV Protection

And I forgot about these Kate Spades.  They live in my closet till after labor day.  I am NOT keeping up with things this year Smiley Sad  I need to change out my white sunglasses for these.

Kate Spade Women's Lulu Gradient Rectangle Sunglasses

Honored Contributor

I wear wild color glasses and get compliments all of the time! I'd never wear boring brown, yuck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I can never see what I look like in the prospective choices without corrective lenses in them. Eyeglasses shopping is difficult when you can't see yourself. Then, there's the problem of all the styles sitting on a big wall display, making it very hard to choose when displayed in this way. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I can never see what I look like in the prospective choices without corrective lenses in them. Eyeglasses shopping is difficult when you can't see yourself. Then, there's the problem of all the styles sitting on a big wall display, making it very hard to choose when displayed in this way. 

@Mindy D 

Even though we ultimately make the final decision, I always ask a salesperson (or two) to tell me which frames they think would look best on me.  I am always surprised (or shocked!)  by what they select, but it provides more food for thought.