Honored Contributor

Re: See gertrudecloset post about benzene in sunscreens in BEAUTY

I went and looked at that and I have the list of affected sunscreens. If you want I can list them. Many of them are sprays.

Avobenzone is not benzene. The company that did the testing said the sunscreens are contaminated with benzene and that it has nothing to do with Avobenzone.

If you choose to believe the people who put out this report when they say that a few of the products they tested contain benzene and are dangerous -- you should also believe them when they tell you benzene is not Avobenzone and that there was a contamination issue. If you don't trust one, you shouldn't trust the other and vice versa.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I stopped trying to use sunscreens years ago because it burned my skin so badly.

Now when I say that I won't use sunscreens, I've had MD's get all ticked off at me, which is very annoying.

My body - my choice...

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D @Porcelain @ALRATIBA @SilleeMee 

I purchased new sunscreens to use this summer (and now) based on the ones EWG rates as mostly safe.

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

The benzene is a contaminant.

The products I chose are both labeled "reef safe" and they are very inexpensive.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D @SchippyLuv @ALRATIBA @Porcelain @SilleeMee 

Here are the two products I settled on:

4A7FBE3F-FCDE-425A-B601-ADFE9F8A611C.jpeg

C86AA21D-AA55-4419-976D-E2C16DFE8066.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Whatever Avobenzone is I am highly allergic to it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SchippyLuv Just wear a hat.

But I agree. Your nose, your Mohs.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain Whatever Avobenzone is I am highly allergic to it.  

I, too, had a horrible reaction to avobenzone in a Neutrogena sunscreen long ago that landed me in a dermatologist's office.  She told me that avobenzone is one of the most common problematic ingredients. She also told me to avoid Neutrogena, Clinique, and some other company's products because they contain "many concerning ingredients" that wreak havoc on a large population of people. My skin has been very happy following her advice on what to avoid and what to use.

Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

See gertrudecloset post about benzene in sunscreens in BEAUTY. gertrudecloset has an important health post in Beauty Forum regarding dangerous levels of the carcinogen benzene found in sunscreen products. Take a look. Benzene is a major carcinogen. 

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I went and looked at that and I have the list of affected sunscreens. If you want I can list them. Many of them are sprays.

Avobenzone is not benzene. The company that did the testing said the sunscreens are contaminated with benzene and that it has nothing to do with Avobenzone.

If you choose to believe the people who put out this report when they say that a few of the products they tested contain benzene and are dangerous -- you should also believe them when they tell you benzene is not Avobenzone and that there was a contamination issue. If you don't trust one, you shouldn't trust the other and vice versa.

@Porcelain I understand Avobenzone is not benzene,  but I break out in huge red bumpa from Abovenzone.  I can't go near the stuff.  And it is in most of the newer sunscreens.  I have to be very very careful not to get it.