Esteemed Contributor

Re: Second Hip Replaced Today

@BriggsiePeawiggle - all the best to you and a speedy recovery.  Having a excellent support team at the hospital and at home makes a world of difference.  I had total left knee replacement last month and am doing the physical therapy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Oh, @BriggsiePeawiggle, you are so brave.  I'm so glad that the worst is over for you.  Hopefully you'll be home soon and only have to deal with PT.  Ouch!

I've known for a while that one or both of my knees will need replacing.  Unfortunately, lately, I'm feeling pain in both hips, especially the left.  This osteoarthritis really spreads all over the body.  In the morning, my back is stiff.  My mother had it so I should have expected it.

Good luck to you.

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie are you planning to schedule soon?  And you are right about physical therapy......ouch but it's all for the good.

Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1, it won't be this year.  If I lose about 25 lbs, I'm hoping I can live with things.  Otherwise, it will be next year.

That PT can be very painful.  I had to have 12 weeks of it in 2014 on my knees before my insurance would approve the next step, which was the knee injections.  The guy kept saying he was sorry for hurting me.  Funny thing was, I'd leave the place in more pain than I walked in with but the next day and especially towards the end of the 12 weeks, it was better.  But not better enough not to go to the next step,mother injections.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie - I too plan and hope to lose weight.  I just had my first full day of out patient therapy yesterday and although I felt good doing it later that evening boy was I sore they really push me more than the in home therapist.

Good luck with whatever you do and keep us posted!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much. Believe me the pain BEFORE the surgery was much worse than this rehabbing pain. I have good meds, and I've been getting excellent physical therapy. I can feel the strength coming back and the measurements show increased flexibility. I'm excited for it to all be well soon.

If your joints start to chronically hurt really bad, just get the replacements. They are not as bad as you would think (and I'm really a chicken about surgery). Also, I have zero tolerance for pain...it's just the way my nervous system works. What one person wouldn't even feel would make me cry in pain. And it isn't that bad. The nurses kept me pretty pain free and were actually pretty sweet, even though that part about getting out of bed to go to the bathroom was kind of weird.

Valued Contributor

Oh no absolutely NOT. The hospital I was in was really wonderful. I guess I gave a bad impression about that first morning. I can't tell you how kind most of the nurses were......one rubbed lotion on my back the first morning just because she saw my lotion on the walker tray and asked if I'd like some on my back. The night nurse the first night came in every hour and asked about pain and kept it down. She would position pillows under my butt or legs to help me change position. I had a private room with a swing tv right in front of me.....wifi on my computer....it was top notch. I ordered from a menu and the meals came when I asked them to. They had a lot of gluten free options (I have Celiac's Disease) and the food was really pretty delicious. The floor medical doctor was a doll. I think when I wrote that first post I was having a bad day or something. Yes, it's a difficult surgery, and yes there are people who do some dumb things (like removing a catheter before you get up to walk the first time or having a toilet seat riser with no side handles).....but really this hospital was wonderful, attentive. 

Valued Contributor

I have been going to therapy before the diagnosis because of the pain, and then after the diagnosis, after my right hip replacement and now this hip and so it's been almost a year. Luckily on my insurance I have unlimited PT visits. I go 3 days/week. I build muscles I never had before. Things are going really really well now that things are surgically fixed. I love my therapist. She's a former student of mine from my teaching days, and I always really liked her. Now she has a PhD in physical therapy and really knows what she's doing.

Valued Contributor

Be sure to use ice packs a LOT. I keep an ice bag full all day and all night and put it on different spots of my legs when they are hurting. It really helps the healing.

Respected Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle

Congratulations on your new hips! 

I had both my hips replaced also; the first one was 23 years ago and the second one was 14 years ago and I am very happy with the results.  However, I am amazed to read that you were on this forum the day of surgery.   Amazing!!!!!!!!!!   I am always totally out of it after even a small surgery. 

Valued Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@BriggsiePeawiggle

Congratulations on your new hips! 

I had both my hips replaced also; the first one was 23 years ago and the second one was 14 years ago and I am very happy with the results.  However, I am amazed to read that you were on this forum the day of surgery.   Amazing!!!!!!!!!!   I am always totally out of it after even a small surgery. 

I think I'm out of it most of the time anyway, so getting on the day of surgery was just normal for me. HAHA......naw....actually I just felt really pain free mostly but lucid enough to communicate. Also I am also soooooo relieved when it's over with that I get chatty and happy.