Valued Contributor

Re: Second Hip Replaced Today

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all of you for your kind responses. I never got up tonight. I'm not sure why they didn't get me up, but I guess there is a reason. In the meantime, I'm sitting here with my laptop, my phone, the tv and pain meds. Smiley Happy  

And most of all I thank God for my wonderful husband who called a few minutes ago to see how I was doing. I sent him home at 3:30 today. We are near a really congested rush hour route, and he had been here all day long. He really needed to go home and get something to eat and rest. We had an early arrival time today and I doubt he got much sleep. Plus we have 2 doggies at home. 

They are taking care of the pain pretty well and I have a DOLL of a nurse whom I had last time I was here. 

Thanks again!

Briggsie

Respected Contributor

Briggsie, the right nurse can make a huge difference.  I'm glad you have a good one.  And when you go home your DH will be there to help you.  You are blessed to have him beside you.

Trusted Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle, wow, 2nd hip replacement ... You got through this with flying colors. I get varied degrees of "petrified" depending on the procedure, it is not unusal, we are human.  Speedy recovery!

Honored Contributor

latest (500×333)

Great news!  Thanks for sharing.  8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad your surgery is over and you're on the mend.  Like someone else said....good help in important and controlling your pain is too.  Sounds like things are going well and it won't be long before your home with DH and doggies. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. For some reason I was convinced that my second one would be easier because the right leg wouldn't be hurting and would be nice and strong. It is, but my surgical left leg is still horrid as it was the first time. No one got out of bed the first night. The entire unit was packed and I guess they were short-staffed, so I lay in bed for 24 hours. That awful draw sheet was plastic and was pretty uncomfortable and I couldn't really readjust myself too well since they had screwed up my left hand pre-surgery trying to put in the IV line and ended up bruising it all to hell and then putting it in my right. I'd put my hands down to try to boost myself up a little and both hands were so sore, but the pain was handled well. I ended up getting nauseated this time -- never before, but the nurses appear out of nowhere when you buzz them and tell them you are nauseated. HAHA.....I willed myself not to let that happen, and I was okay in the long run, but I kept the basin nearby. In the morning the lady removed my catheter and I still hadn't been up. About 3 hours later I had to urinate....."Sorry you will have to use the bedpan because you haven't been up yet." I said, "NO.....where they put the receiver to the implant they pounded it with a hammer. It hurts so bad I can't possibly explain the pain, and the bedpan will hit RIGHT there. Either you ladies will kindly get someone to help me get up to the bathroom or I'm going to just pee the bed." I know that was rude, but no way I was getting on a bedpan. Suddenly out of nowhere a lady appeared with a toilet seat riser (no handles -- and that was a real trip to try to drop down from my 6' height). But I came home Friday, and there were people there in much worse shape than I. The man across the hall had both knees done, and I could hear him screaming in pain and crying at night. It was horrible for him. He made it to group PT once (we went 2/day every day we were there and I only saw him once and he couldn't do anything). While the lead PT was helping me back to my room I said how sorry I felt for that guy because he was across the hall from me, and he said "I'd NEVER get both done at once....NEVER!" So I'm glad that even though things are no tea party here right now (still) at least it wasn't both at once and I have one strong leg. I'm now weaning off the pain meds little by little and doing pretty well. I can't wait till this is all over though. Ugh!

Briggsie

Honored Contributor

Oh, @BriggsiePeawiggle, you are so brave.  I'm so glad that the worst is over for you.  Hopefully you'll be home soon and only have to deal with PT.  Ouch!

I've known for a while that one or both of my knees will need replacing.  Unfortunately, lately, I'm feeling pain in both hips, especially the left.  This osteoarthritis really spreads all over the body.  In the morning, my back is stiff.  My mother had it so I should have expected it.

Good luck to you.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Hope your recovery goes well and you are up and around soon!

Regular Contributor

I had my second done a few years ago, also left, it seemed much easier since i knew what to expect, was sent home second day, it should be easier for you too, I hope it is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BriggsiePeawiggle  Glad you are home.  I am sure now things will get better for you.

The hospital  you were in sounded horrible!  I had both hips and both knees replaced and my experience was wonderful. The nurses, the care and food was the best. I also had a private room which is standard.  I think A bad hospital  experience can just ruin it as far as your mental state with healing. I believe healing starts with the care you receive. From the beginning.