Honored Contributor

Sebaceous Cyst - Warning may be TMI and rather gross

Warning, if you are easily grossed out, you might want to stop here.

I have a propensity for sebaceous cysts.  I asked my doctor if they are genetic and he said he didn't think so, but that people who do get them tend to get them over and over.  I also asked my older sister and she hasn't gotten any.  I have had two in the past that had to be removed even though they do tend to come back.  One on the back of the head at the hairline and another on my back.  Then, several years ago I got one in my armpit.  Usually, we leave them alone until they get sore or infected and sometimes he will give me a course of antibiotics and it will settle down for awhile.  

At my last physical we discussed the one under my arm and talked about removing it at some point, but I wanted to wait until a time when I'm not so busy doing yard work.  Luckily, the really hot weather that I refuse to work in coincided with the cyst getting infected.  So, Monday I went in and he cut into it and drained it.  The thing was about the size of an old jawbreaker, and he said it was hard.  The underarm is also a more painful site for such a procedure.  He cut into it and squeezed and squeezed deep down so it was quite painful even with the lidocaine.  Came home with a bunch of packing, a big bandaid, pain pills and antibiotics.  

Last night was a rough night.  The pain pills was a bit too much for me and I got a little nauseaous, so I didn't take another one before bed.  And then I woke up this morning with a migraine.  But, I didn't take another one of those pain piill but doubled up on my Excedrin Migraine which did the job.  

Went back today to have the packing removed and he had to squeeze some more.  This time I got just a bandaid and told to change it out frequently because it would continue to drain.  Tonight i'm changing out the bandaid and could't resist squeezing a little more.  Some of the drainage came out and then suddenly more of the thick stuff came out.  Got a good bit of that out, so I'm feeling really good about it since the thick stuff won't drain and it really needs to come out.  It was such a feeling of accomplishment getting that stuff out.  Hopefully, that means it will heal even quicker.

Anybody else suffer from these and have similar experieinces.  Sorry if I grossed anybody out, but being late at night  haven't had a chance to contact my doctor to inform him of my success.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sebaceous Cyst - Warning may be TMI and rather gross

I had one of those between my shoulder blades.

My doctor wasn't concerned about it, so, neither was I.

One night, a few months ago, I was feeling it, and I felt wetness. When I looked at my hand there was this white stuff.

I went to the bathroom with mirror in hand, and squeezed the lump. Thick, white stuff with the consistency of cottage cheese came out.

Yes, I was grossed out.

Since that initial rupture, I have been able to express more stuff out of it, and it has gotten much, much smaller. In fact, I can barely feel it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

One night, a few months ago, I was feeling it, and I felt wetness. When I looked at my hand there was this white stuff.

I went to the bathroom with mirror in hand, and squeezed the lump. Thick, white stuff with the consistency of cottage cheese came out.

Yes, I was grossed out.

Since that initial rupture, I have been able to express more stuff out of it, and it has gotten much, much smaller. In fact, I can barely feel it.

Shoekitty said

i think you need to have the sac removed or it will just continue to keep filling up.  Arent those things painful?  I have seen a couple and they look like they hurt.  Yes, i have heard some people are just prone to them.  My one daughter is prone to cysts.  Not sebbaceous always, but regular cysts.  She is the only one in family.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Yes, I was grossed out.

Shoekitty said

i think you need to have the sac removed or it will just continue to keep filling up.  Arent those things painful?  I have seen a couple and they look like they hurt.  Yes, i have heard some people are just prone to them.  My one daughter is prone to cysts.  Not sebbaceous always, but regular cysts.  She is the only one in family.  

Mine didn't hurt.  

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I get them as did my brother and my mother.  They are quite common.

i know that if you just squeeze them, they will return.  There is a sac that holds the gunk under your skin.  

I have had mine removed by a general surgeon, a plastic surgeon and a dermatologist. Yes, I have had many of them since I was a teenager.

It doesn't sound like your doctor removed sac...so yours will return. Once the sac is removed, that particular cyst is gone forever.

Respected Contributor

i had one removed, on my back, when it was dormant and just a hard bump. dr. removed and another popped up right next to it. it flaired up, a couple of months ago and i just let it drain and i got gunk out. now, it's flat and i hope done for a long time. yes, you have to have the sak removed or it will return.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

Ooooooo.......this is Dr. Pimple Popper, The Written Edition!

Not TMI. 

I watch all this stuff.

The additional content being extracted the 2nd day by the doctor & especially you...my DPP experience says, he didn’t get the entire sack out.

Especially when you extracted contents day&half later.

Also...did he swab for a test before extraction?  

Was the hard mass flexible...able to move it around a little bit?

Maybe make an appointment with a dermatologist,

if your insurance covers, just be sure everything was done correctly. 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty is correct, unless the sac is removed it can return.

Hope you’re feeling better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Icegoddesss    My Husband tends to get things like this... he  always had acne as a young adult   even into his 60's. Occasionally a cyst will become inflamed and need doctors attention. 

He had on cyst that was in the tailbone area that many years ago he had permanently removed.  The doctor said that that cyst was genetic and you are born with it there. That was pretty major surgery.

pilonidal (pie-lowNIEEdull) cyst is an abnormal pocket in the skin that usually contains hair and skin debris. A pilonidal cyst is almost always located near the tailbone at the top of the cleft of the buttocks. ... If a pilonidal cyst becomes infected, the resulting abscess is often extremely painful

Esteemed Contributor

Mine came back after about 15 years.  Really leaves a crater.