Respected Contributor

Re: Sebaceous Cyst - Warning may be TMI and rather gross

@Icegoddess 

Ugh!  This sounds terrible.  I was not aware that a cyst could get this large.  

I wish you the best to remedy this condition!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Icegoddesss    My Husband tends to get things like this... he  always had acne as a young adult   even into his 60's. Occasionally a cyst will become inflamed and need doctors attention. 

He had on cyst that was in the tailbone area that many years ago he had permanently removed.  The doctor said that that cyst was genetic and you are born with it there. That was pretty major surgery.

pilonidal (pie-lowNIEEdull) cyst is an abnormal pocket in the skin that usually contains hair and skin debris. A pilonidal cyst is almost always located near the tailbone at the top of the cleft of the buttocks. ... If a pilonidal cyst becomes infected, the resulting abscess is often extremely painful

@SeaMaiden  My daughter had one of those removed recently.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Icegoddesss    My Husband tends to get things like this... he  always had acne as a young adult   even into his 60's. Occasionally a cyst will become inflamed and need doctors attention. 

He had on cyst that was in the tailbone area that many years ago he had permanently removed.  The doctor said that that cyst was genetic and you are born with it there. That was pretty major surgery.

pilonidal (pie-lowNIEEdull) cyst is an abnormal pocket in the skin that usually contains hair and skin debris. A pilonidal cyst is almost always located near the tailbone at the top of the cleft of the buttocks. ... If a pilonidal cyst becomes infected, the resulting abscess is often extremely painful

@SeaMaiden  My daughter had one of those removed recently.  

I had one of those removed when I was in my early 20's.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Warning, if you are easily grossed out, you might want to stop here.

I have a propensity for sebaceous cysts.  I asked my doctor if they are genetic and he said he didn't think so, but that people who do get them tend to get them over and over.  I also asked my older sister and she hasn't gotten any.  I have had two in the past that had to be removed even though they do tend to come back.  One on the back of the head at the hairline and another on my back.  Then, several years ago I got one in my armpit.  Usually, we leave them alone until they get sore or infected and sometimes he will give me a course of antibiotics and it will settle down for awhile.  

At my last physical we discussed the one under my arm and talked about removing it at some point, but I wanted to wait until a time when I'm not so busy doing yard work.  Luckily, the really hot weather that I refuse to work in coincided with the cyst getting infected.  So, Monday I went in and he cut into it and drained it.  The thing was about the size of an old jawbreaker, and he said it was hard.  The underarm is also a more painful site for such a procedure.  He cut into it and squeezed and squeezed deep down so it was quite painful even with the lidocaine.  Came home with a bunch of packing, a big bandaid, pain pills and antibiotics.  

Last night was a rough night.  The pain pills was a bit too much for me and I got a little nauseaous, so I didn't take another one before bed.  And then I woke up this morning with a migraine.  But, I didn't take another one of those pain piill but doubled up on my Excedrin Migraine which did the job.  

Went back today to have the packing removed and he had to squeeze some more.  This time I got just a bandaid and told to change it out frequently because it would continue to drain.  Tonight i'm changing out the bandaid and could't resist squeezing a little more.  Some of the drainage came out and then suddenly more of the thick stuff came out.  Got a good bit of that out, so I'm feeling really good about it since the thick stuff won't drain and it really needs to come out.  It was such a feeling of accomplishment getting that stuff out.  Hopefully, that means it will heal even quicker.

Anybody else suffer from these and have similar experieinces.  Sorry if I grossed anybody out, but being late at night  haven't had a chance to contact my doctor to inform him of my success.

@Icegoddess  .... hi ... this was not TMI ... I watch Dr Pimple Popper all the time & love to see her remove all the cysts etc,. .... you MUST get the sac out otherwise it will return or possibly not heal properly ... good luck 👍

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 

I stumbled across Dr. PP one day on YouTube.  

I was fascinated, but could not watch anything (weak stomach).  Was stunned to see she had a TV show.

Last time I saw a few minutes, she was treating some poor young woman that had these extended growths on/through her ears!  It was the strangest thing I have ever seen.

She wore a headband to cover them.  Could not watch to see if they were removed.  This may have been for her newest season.

Obviously, there is an interest in this stuff, or she would not be on TV.  She does seem very kind and caring, so that helps.  

Trusted Contributor

Popping it like a zit will not work.  You have to have all of it removed.  The sac is going to refill.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

Popping it like a zit will not work.  You have to have all of it removed.  The sac is going to refill.

@alarmclock I did not pop it like a zit.  In fact, I didn't do it at all.  Now, whether the doctor was able to get the entire sac out is the question.  It was deep, and they often break open in the process of trying to remove them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@January121 

I stumbled across Dr. PP one day on YouTube.  

I was fascinated, but could not watch anything (weak stomach).  Was stunned to see she had a TV show.

Last time I saw a few minutes, she was treating some poor young woman that had these extended growths on/through her ears!  It was the strangest thing I have ever seen.

She wore a headband to cover them.  Could not watch to see if they were removed.  This may have been for her newest season.

Obviously, there is an interest in this stuff, or she would not be on TV.  She does seem very kind and caring, so that helps.  

@Witchy Woman  ... HI ... Originally I stumbled on Dr Pimple Popper on You Tube also ..... I was so intrigued by what she does that I couldn’t get enough of her videos...... then my sister in law told me she was on the Learning Channel .... I watch all of her shows & totally enjoy every one of them!! .... I am surprised at myself because I have a weak stomach & usually can’t watch stuff like this ... I actually look forward to the new episodes 😀

As far as the young girl with the big tumors on both her ears Dr PP was able to remove them & she is all healed up & happy.😃

Valued Contributor

My husband has one on his back which was so large it showed through his shirts.  The dermatologist drained it but didn't remove the sac.  Every few days I squeeze it so it stays flat.  Don't want to gross anyone out but the liquid that comes out has an unpleasant smell.  Very yucky.

Valued Contributor

Removing the sac is usually easy but you probably need a little local. It is good to remove the sac then take a couple of stitches and be done with it rather than have an open wound and risk a skin infection.

Waiting for infection to set in before removing a cyst is a little risky when it is a small procedure to remove the sac and contents and close the wound.