Trusted Contributor

Re: Seasonal affective disorder

Funny that you should bring this topic up. I talked to my mom yesterday about her being depressed. She denies that she has been but I've been noticing that she just hasn't been herself and my dad says that she is sleeping (napping) a lot. She loves to be outside and working or sitting in the yard so winter is always a downer for her but this year it's really affected her. I want her to go see the Dr. but she doesn't even go to a Dr. when she is really sick or hurting so I doubt she will. Perhaps if I get her some D3 this will help.

Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Q4u said:

My sister in law had a severe problem with this disorder. She was born, raised and lived in North Dakota. She has since moved to Atlanta, Georgia and has had a lot of success with getting back to normal...

We've had a few new neighbors over the years from New England and other cold areas who said they overcame this because of the warmer temps here in the winter.

I didn't think it was about cold weather, I thought people were bothered by the shorter days. It doesn't affect me one way or the other here, but when we are up north visiting, I can't stand the cold and nighttime when it's cold. I get depressed!

Regular Contributor

Have been exhausted ever since the time change to the horrible winter time. Can't wait until it changes back again. Do think I have seasonal disorder due to lack of light -- now live in an apartment where there is only natural light at one end and even then only for a few hours a day. No overhead lights which I need to see properly.

Also think some of us have depression due to the holidays -- I have no family near here -- only a brother and his daughter who live actually only about 200 miles away and don't want to bother coming here and I can't drive there.

Waiting for spring.

Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 kingtut said:

Have been exhausted ever since the time change to the horrible winter time. Can't wait until it changes back again. Do think I have seasonal disorder due to lack of light -- now live in an apartment where there is only natural light at one end and even then only for a few hours a day. No overhead lights which I need to see properly.

Also think some of us have depression due to the holidays -- I have no family near here -- only a brother and his daughter who live actually only about 200 miles away and don't want to bother coming here and I can't drive there.

Waiting for spring.

Can you paint your apartment a bright happy color or will they charge you extra?

Our cottage is painted a sunny and creamy color that even on rainy/cloudy days is still bright. I think the color is called Scent of Coconut or Coconut scent. Has a tiny hint of yellow to it, but looks creamy.

Hopefully the winter will pass quickly for you to get you to spring!

Honored Contributor

I belonged to a raw food group last yr...which many members living in the North. They complained of SAD & feeling of 'blah' & a little depression. Just adding these food items, along with Vit D, showed improvement (personal guarantee). Doesn't hurt to try, yes?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Super Contributor

SAD is only one of the reasons we moved to FL a little over 2 yrs ago - I need sunshine and warmth. It's far better here than it was in the Pocono mountains and So Jersey where we moved from.

Whatever helps.....

Trusted Contributor

It never bothered me until I moved back to the Midwest after living in Texas a few years. I bought a light therapy lamp a few years ago, which helped, but I really noticed a difference after I started taking Vitamin D supplements. I never would have taken it had my doctor not told me my levels were low, but since I've been taking it, I feel much better. I think it's the combination of the light therapy and the Vita D that helps, at least in my case.

Respected Contributor

I had it years ago and didn't know what was wrong with me. It lasted the entire time we lived at our previous house which was 16 years. I never told anyone about it. I feel sorry for my family because I would cry over nothing everyday during the fall/winter and was depressed, etc. I actually thought about suicide, yet I didn't say anything to anyone.

Our house had small windows with big eaves over them to cut down the light. That house also had really dark paneling and med. toned carpet. I didn't have a clue that was my problem.

When we built our house I made sure we had gobs of windows and we painted the house light airy colors. We also have 3 sets of patio doors. Our electrician though I was nuts because I wanted gobs of can light everywhere.

Our ceilings are 13 feet tall and windows go almost to the top. I can see the sky all day through those top windows even though the bottom blinds are shut.

I also buy expensive "daylight" bulbs for our store. That lighting helps tremendously.

I no longer suffer from SAD and am not on medication.

Making changes to your house if it is dark and you lighting helps a bunch.

If I would have known what was wrong, I would have did changes back then.

Regular Contributor

I have had this also. The best advice is to learn about antidepressants. Different ones affect different neurotransmitters in the brain. The right antidepressant can make such a difference in a good way!!

Respected Contributor

Please, please try taking the Vit. D-3 supplement! I'm an outdoorsy person and get lots of sun (when it's out) in the summer. I go out in the winter to jog as much as possible with the snow, but you still don't the sunshine vitamin up north in the winter (especially when you're all covered up!). I started taking a 1,000 mcg Vit. D-3 gelcap in the morning with breakfast, and another with dinner (along with my other supplements). I started this a few years ago when it dawned on me I wasn't getting enough of that vitamin in the winter, and this has made such a difference for me! I still hate the winter and the cold (can't change that), but I have energy and feel pretty good. I also go to a brightly lit gym several times a week to work out with my friends.......that's a big help too. Vit D-3 has many other benefits as well.

Laura loves cats!