Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Seasonal Allergies, I think I Have It.

I am heading toward 70 and have never had an allergy in my life. Now, I realize anyone can develop an allergy at any time, but geez.

It has been unseasonally warm this winter and I am sneezing  my stupid head off, my nose is running, my eyes will water and makes my vision burry, my throat itches. 

I thought I was getting sick last week but I haven't gotten worse like I would with a sinus infection.  I haven't had a regular cold in years and besides my colds always start with a terrible sore throat. Mine's just itchy.

Is it too early for this stuff?  I guess I think of late March, April and May as allergy spring allergy season.

Respected Contributor

Re: Seasonal Allergies, I think I Have It.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I am heading toward 70 and have never had an allergy in my life. Now, I realize anyone can develop an allergy at any time, but geez.

It has been unseasonally warm this winter and I am sneezing  my stupid head off, my nose is running, my eyes will water and makes my vision burry, my throat itches. 

I thought I was getting sick last week but I haven't gotten worse like I would with a sinus infection.  I haven't had a regular cold in years and besides my colds always start with a terrible sore throat. Mine's just itchy.

Is it too early for this stuff?  I guess I think of late March, April and May as allergy spring allergy season.

Not too early..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Seasonal allergies depend on location. Most people talk about spring seasonal allergies, but in central Texas, we get Cedar Fever from late November through the end of January, then spring allergies after that. 

And seasons cans start early or late or be milder than usual or worse based on the weather. We had a very warm January and spring flowers were starting to bloom in February.

In some cases, pollen levels can be so high that people without true allergies have an allergic-type response to the pollen just due to the high particulate count and having pollen flying into their eyes, nose, and mouth all day.

If you're having issues, I would check your local news for the pollen count and see if it's extra high where you are now. My local news has already told us that much of the east coast and central US will have much worse than normal allergy seasons because of the weather. If pollen levels are high and you're experiencing symptoms, you can spend less time outdoors, especially on windy days, keep windows closed, and get some air filters. You can also have a mechanic change the air and cabin filters in your car. On bad pollen days, doctors advise people to change their clothes and shower when they get home so that they don't get pollen all over the couch or sleep with pollen in their hair.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - could it be an allergy to your fairly new cat?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Try some Allegra or Clariten.  I find the generic from Walmart works very well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

The only allergy I know I have is Iron. The RN's tell me that each time I get an Iron Infusion. The things you've mentioned, I experience on a semi regular basis, just not at the same time. The seasonal changes here in our 4 season location make no difference.

I started decades ago to let my doctors decide what's up with me when it comes to health. Injuries from sports or just my type of lifestyle? Not so much. I have had enough of them to be able to diagnose them pretty danged well myself.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  No, I don't think it's Petunia. She has been with us since September and I have had an older cat for 11 yrs.

This allergy thing is since last week.

Honored Contributor

With the Winter we have had in the North East it is a very early allergy season

Itchy scratchy throat, sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes are some of the

I have suffered since I am about 8 and as a result take a few meds daily.

Claratin should be helpful

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Not too early unfortunately.  I'm in the PNW north of Seattle & we're seeing pollen covering the cars, plants/trees have small blooms & seasonal allergies are becoming a 4 letter word.  Take care,

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it's been wonky here in North Texas for the last several days.

Ooooof.

Pollen counts are high...trees!

3B639EDC-FE69-480E-9D44-9D2EBCDEDF33.jpeg