Trusted Contributor

Re: Sea Salt, Sea Salt, Sea Salt - and Migraine

[ Edited ]

@sfnative

If you get migraines from salting your food or eating foods containing salt, don’t eat them.  Go on a salt free diet.

Ingesting salt,  causes high blood pressure and you will probably suffer a stroke.  Worse yet, maybe die from a heart attack.

Good luck, and remember to stay salt free.

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@sfnative

If you get migraines from salting your food or eating foods containing salt, don’t eat them.  Go on a salt free diet.

Ingesting salt,  causes high blood pressure and you will probably suffer a stroke.  Worse yet, maybe die from a heart attack.

Good luck, and remember to stay salt free.

@EatWell

Read my original post.

1.  I don't get migraines from eating salt.

2.  Salt is essential to our health.  We MUST ingest at least a small amout of salt, which may have its origin in the food we eat.

3.  Simply ingesting salt does not cause high blood pressure, stroke or, heaven forbid, a heart attack(!).

4.  Staying salt-free: such an order should come from a physician.

Note:  I have had the SAME migraine since 1984.  It's called "Chronic Migraine."  The pain is there every day.  I experience huge spikes in pain when I eat certain junk ingredients, am stressed, lack of sleep, hot weather, etc.

Sea Salt:  This junk salt is not necessary for human existence.  It contains up to 75 "ingredients/elements," some of which can be harmful.  In my case, and many who suffer from migraine, one or some of the elements in sea salt are the cause of pain spikes or can bring on a migraine (the textbook migraine vice chronic migraine).

What brought about my post was that I'm seeing sea salt in more and more products, proudly displayed by the producer, straight across the box or package, as though it were a magic ingredient.  It's all marketing hype and the Joes and Josephines out there are believing it - buying up anything with sea salt in it as though it were the goose that laid the golden egg.  What such campains have done, however, is taken hundres and hundreds of food items out of my reach and that of many migraine sufferers.  There's the rub.

Another garbage ingredient is MSG, so many migraine sufferers do not eat Asian food prepared with MSG.  And, the list goes on and it is rather comprehensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative

Have you seen my latest challenge?

DHs cognition is on the decline.

Yes, it is very sad and I am broken-hearted.

I wanted you to know.

@LTT1

Loves,

Oh, no, I'm so incredibly sorry to learn such devastating news.  Clearly, I missed your original and follow-up posts.  Can you share with me where on the forums you've posted, so I can keep current and supportive.

Thinking back, there's slight memory of mention made of your husband, but my recollection is fuzzy here, as well as a diagnosis.

Please know I'm with you in spirit and will pray for you both.

Love & Hugs ~ Rebecca

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I posted the entire saga on “Among Friends” “Caregiver Discussion.”

The first post occurred before any REAL immediate concerns...but that has changed.

We have no diagnosis yet...but our doctor, PA and nurse have been very helpful.

Thank you... wishing good things for you.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sea salt might be a trigger for your migraines but that's your issue.  Work your way around it.  There's absolutely no reason why the millions of people who aren't YOU should be deprived of something they like and want.  

@chrystaltree

Millions of people...

OK - meant for any and all migraine sufferers.  This product is so NOT good.  Consult the Top 10 to avoid.

@sfnative

With all due respect through this thread you've said sea salt is in the top 10 to avoid in migraine triggers but I can't find it listed anywhere on the internet and none of the other posters have either as far as I can tell.

Can you provide a link as I would like to know.

Additionally you posted recent recipes and sea salt is among the ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I gotta tell you. My Mom suffered from migraines and blamed every thing. Red wine, yeast. chocolate anything she read about. I thing it was anxiety and her way to deal to deal w/it.

@Group 5 minus 1  That's what doctors always said about anything wrong with women in the 1950-1960 era.  It was chalked up to their nerves.

Most of us have suffered from migraines know what triggers them:  for me, lack of sleep, bright lights or too much bright sun are a sure thing.  Aspartame is another think that even small amounts and boom I have a migraine.  Sometimes it happens and I can't believe I ate some and sure enough somebody "surprised" me with "Isn't it GOOD?  And it doesn't have SUGAR!"  Well thanks loads. . . !!!!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative@Sooner

Between having chronic sinus infections and migraines (plus osteoarthritis) nearly all of my life, I can say that the more I limited my diet the better I felt.

The allergist did not know what to do with me due to having had so many antibiotics and he thought allergy testing for foods (milk, peanuts) was for the crazies!

That was circa 1980.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~