Honored Contributor

Re: Sea Salt, Sea Salt, Sea Salt - and Migraine

i get migraines.....not frequently, but bad when they do happen.

i do use sea salt every day and prefer the taste to "regular salt."  i honestly dont think that is a trigger for me.

just as you posted a link that may substantiate your personal views, there are also plenty of other links for the benefits of sea salt, both via ingestion and via topical uses.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Much of the reaction I received here is so indicative of society today in these United States: absolute intolerance of a differing opinion and beyond that not only throwing it back in my face, but out-and-out telling so much as telling me I'm a fool (for lack of a word I cannot print).  Mein Gott en Himmel!

@sfnative

Nobody responded in this thread that you are a fool or any other censored.gifthing.

You are throwing around blanket statements insinuating that all migraine suffers the exact same triggers.  As a migraine sufferer, you should know better.  Again, "triggers" are like fingerprints & snowflakes.  No one suffers the exact same triggers as other migraine sufferers.  Believe it or not, the majority of migraine sufferers do not have triggers or auras.  I never had an aura and I suffer from 2 different kinds of migraines! Smiley Sad

From the responses in this thread, you are the only one who has a sea salt trigger.  Personally, I do not.  SALT is NOT on MY "short" trigger list.  I love salt.  It is not harmful to me nor is it a trigger.  I also have "low high pressure" which is natural for me.  I can have all the salt I want w/o suffering from any ill effects.

The supermarkets in my neck of the woods only sell "natural" sea salt.  As long as it does not affect me, I could give a rats censored.gif what ss is on or its incrediants.

You should always follow your treating doctor(s) suggestions, not going by what you read on the net no matter how reputable they are.

Zurück zu dir

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sea salt might be a trigger for your migraines but that's your issue.  Work your way around it.  There's absolutely no reason why the millions of people who aren't YOU should be deprived of something they like and want.  

@chrystaltree

Millions of people...

OK - meant for any and all migraine sufferers.  This product is so NOT good.  Consult the Top 10 to avoid.

I don't take medical advice via Google.com and I don't know what Top 10 is referring to.  I'm sure it's nothing legitimate. I'm 100% that sea salt isn't a trigger for millions of migraine patients.  That's laughable.    But even if it was true.  The people who have the problem are the ones who have to negotiate it.  They are the ones who have to read labels and be vigilant and avoid those products.  It's no different than a peanut allergy.  An allergy that is becoming increasingly more common but no one thinks we should ban all foods with peanuts or peanut oil in them.  I'm allergic to base metals but I don't think the entire jewelry industry should be forbidden to us base metals.  

And considering the fact that most salt deposits are from ancient seas, as I said before,  some having much more metals and minerals dissolved with it than others.  It's S A L T.  Do you think Morton's doesn't come from sea salt too? Unless it is really sorced from a specific salt bed, who knows 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be glad to read about it if somebody has a link.

I tried to google and the only thing that showed up connecting  sea salt and migraines is this thread we're posting on right now on the Q board.

Confusing.

Regular Contributor

The OP mentioned Migraine.com but I can't find any reference to sea salt there.

This is what I found.

migraine.com/migraine-triggers/food-and-drinks/

Most common foods that trigger migraines

- Chocolate, 75 percent

- Cheese, particularly aged cheese, 48 percent
- Citrus fruits , 30 percent
- Alcohol, particularly red wine and beer, 25 percent

An additional list of foods that trigger migraines

- Ham, hot dogs, other cured meats
- Monosodium glutamate, MSG, commonly found in Chinese foods, soy sauce and packaged foods
- Asparatame and other artificial sweeteners
- Asian foods
- Snack foods
- Fatty foods
- Ice cream and other frozen foods
- Food dyes
- Coffee, tea, cola (other items containing caffeine and caffeine withdrawal)
- Dairy products, yogurt
- Nuts

About specific migraine food triggers

Chocolate

Chocolate contains several ingredients that may play a role in triggering migraines. One substance, phenylethylamine may alter blood flow in the brain or cause the release of other chemicals in the brain leading to migraine. Chocolate also contains caffeine.

Caffeine

Caffeine has well-known effects on the central nervous system and the blood vessels of the brain. Marketed as a stimulant that increases alertness and energy, caffeine may also induce insomnia. Withdrawal from caffeine is also known to cause head pain which can last for days.

MSG

MSG, monosodium glutamate, a food additive used to enhance flavor of foods. It is commonly found in foods from Chinese restaurants, frozen foods, canned or dried soups, processed meats, salad dressings, snacks as well as tomato or barbecue sauce. MSG, has been found to cause animal blood vessels to narrow and contract, may trigger migraines by this action in the blood vessels of the brain. It could stimulate certain receptors in the central nervous system or lead to the release of nitric oxide, which may lead to the head pain.

Cured meats

Cured meats such as bacon, sausage, hot dogs and ham contain nitrites to preserve color and flavor, while preventing growth of botulism. Nitrites may cause the release of nitric oxide and widening of blood vessels.

Trusted Contributor

I’ve had migraines most of my life. I still can’t figure out what causes most of them. I’ve tied them to some of the triggers mentioned here at times. Other times I have no clue. I have learned to manage them and, thankfully, they aren’t as bad as they once were. They used to take me from my day & leave me unable to function for that entire day with a hungover feeling the next day. Now I take what my paramedic husband recommended I try & it worked wonderfully for me. Hope everyone can find what works for best for them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative@Renata22@iceRedfire@Sooner@Mz iMac

I thought this was interesting, from Wikipedia 

The following are alternative names for MSG:[1][48][49]

onosodium glutamate-containing ingredients. However, the term "natural flavor" is used by the food industry for glutamic acid (chemically similar to MSG, lacking only the sodium ion). The Food and Drug Administration does not require disclosure of components and amounts of "natural flavor."[45]

Chemical names and identifiers 

Monosodium glutamate or sodium glutamate
Sodium 2-aminopentanedioate
Glutamic acid, monosodium salt, monohydrate
L-Glutamic acid, monosodium salt, monohydrate
L-Monosodium glutamate monohydrate
Monosodium L-glutamate monohydrate
MSG monohydrate
Sodium glutamate monohydrate
UNII-W81N5U6R6U
On packaging 
Flavour enhancer E621
Trade names 
Accent, produced by B&G Foods Inc., Parsippany, New Jersey, US[50][51]
AJI-NO-MOTO, produced by Ajinomoto, 26 countries, head office Japan[52][53]
Tasting Powder
Ve-Tsin by Tien Chu Ve-Tsin

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative@Renata22@iceRedfire@Sooner@Mz iMac

My migraines are helped by limiting the number of ingredients in a food.

It seems that the fewer ingredients there are listed on it’s label, the less likely I will be to have a migraine.

Another one that is suspect for me is annatto in ice cream.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I am concerned about you.

This isn't the first time you've posted things that don't make sense. Over the years, it's become more noticeable.

I hope you are heeding whatever medical remedies your doctor prescribes.

And before you think I'm being sarcastic or facetious, please know I'm being serious.  I am concerned about your health. Please take care of yourself.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative, well, I thank you for the heads up. I woke up sick in the night with one of these little darlings, took my migraine meds, this beautiful day has been spent lying down for the most part.

I was trying to recall if I ingested anything with sea salt in the last few days, and I really can't remember. I am going to try to avoid it though.

Thanks for the info. I hope you are feeling better.