Super Contributor
On 10/30/2014 HappyDaze said:

I had a severe case of this awhile back and had for many years but thanks to my excellent physical therapist, I no longer suffer from it. He gave me great exercises to do at home to help prevent it and to do if I ever have the issue again. I'd really recommend a physical therapist. I am so thrilled not to have that pain anymore!

Same here re physical therapist. Just some simple exercises releases the pressure on the nerve.

Trusted Contributor
Same as the above plus soak in Epson salts and rub some of that magnesium oil from the vitamin store in that area before bed. That does help me so much. Also I do not have to sit at a desk all day.
Respected Contributor
On 10/30/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: Same as the above plus soak in Epson salts and rub some of that magnesium oil from the vitamin store in that area before bed. That does help me so much. Also I do not have to sit at a desk all day.

Sitting at a desk all day IS bad for sciatica. Also, please don't do any heavy lifting. Always keep your knees bent when you lift or bend.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor
I've been in PT twice weekly since labor day trying to get rid of my sciatic pain. Talk to your doctor and get a recomendation for a good physical therapist. Do the exercises they prescribe and tey to sleep flat on your back to keep your spine aligned properly. Unfortunately its one lf those things that comes and goes. It really never goes away forever. Good luck!
Super Contributor
On 10/30/2014 Peggs said: I have a severe pain going down the back of my leg to my foot . I can't drive for the terrific pain in my foot when I press the break or gas pedal. I finally went to the doctor this week who has set me up with a test to rule out a blood clot. He didn't mention siatica which would be my guess. He thinks it's a pulled muscle - didn't day what the treatment would be - I doubt if he would refer me to a chiropractor

Omg, tell me about it. It's horrible. I have excruciating pain when I drive for more than 2 hours. It starts in my right cheek and travels down my leg. It was horrible driving from the North to Florida this year. My doctor had an x-ray done, which showed it is my back that is the culprit. Prescribed pills, and they didn't cut it. Went to physical therapy, and they were kind of guessing which exercises were going to be good for me; the only thing that helped was hot moist heat. I wish chiropractors were covered by our insurance.

Trusted Contributor
Sue52, Chiropractors are now covered by insurance at least mine is. I have Keystone 65. Blue Cross.
Respected Contributor
Thank you all Ladies this has been so helpful. I am seeing Dr On Monday and we do have several good physio-therapists here in our small town. Your advice is gratefully received as I have been staggering around in agony your comments have been helpful.
Super Contributor

Until you can get to the doctor, try ibuprofen for the pain and go online or talk to your trainer about the exercises. The exercises hurt, too, but they will eventually relieve some of the pain.

It is a come and go type of pain, until it comes and stays. That's where I am and I've never gotten too much relief. I don't hurt when I sit or lie down, but standing in one position like at the grocery store or church--the pain is excruciating. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 dulwich said:(1) Thank you all Ladies this has been so helpful. I am(2) seeing Dr On Monday and we do have several good physio-therapists here in our small town. Your advice is gratefully received as I have been staggering around in agony your comments have been helpful.

dulwich,

(1)-I am a male and you are welcome.

(2)- Until the source is found a "physio-therapists" cannot address the exact cause, thus cannot address the correct process needed to help a problem. Know several in this field and none of them do any Physical Therapy without a written prescription of the problem from a medical or Osteopathic doctor.

Just more info to do with what you wish.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

find a good chiropractor!!!