Respected Contributor

Get a padded toilet seat. As we get older we tend to plop down on that hard weird shaped seat (women especially)and because of it's shape it pinches that nerve that runs back there. It really works.

Respected Contributor

My friend had this problem and she finally decided on Acupuncture .... this finally cleared the problem up but it took several visits.  My own Acupuncturist said this method generally does a great job of of getting rid of the problem permanently.

Honored Contributor
I’m going through this now. I had a fall and sciatica as a result. Had ct scan and X-ray. (No MRI because of metal implant.)

They tried various meds, heat, ice packs, lidocaine patches. Now in physical therapy, massages and heat packs. Therapy and exercise and Tylenol seem to be best combination. Takes time to heal. Just have to remain active and work through the pain. I have three more weeks of therapy.

It gets easier every day that passes. But you have to keep moving! Massages and heat therapy are wonderful.
Honored Contributor

Both of my daughters are dealing with sciatica.   Both have had MRI’s which identified disc issues, as well as spinal stenosis.   Both are doing PT.  

I expect one daughter will need surgery eventually, but for now she is managing with several meds and physical therapy.   Despite the opioid epidemic, the first thing doctors wanted to prescribe for them was a pain med, which they refused.   

Frequent Contributor

My husband is same age and has had this problem for years.  X-rays showed disc problem but they would not recommend surgery so they sent him for P.T.    After a few months of P.T. the pain went away and they gave him some exercises to strengthen his back which were similar to the P.T. procedures.   He has not had any pain since.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My mom is 84 soon,she has had this pain for about a month and half, seen doctors,  nothing they have described has helped, mean while her family doc,has retired,so new docs, had x rays, new doc does not want to do cat scan yet, has anything helped you ,if you have had this?

I am 71 and was having knee pain, due to a fall, as well as lower back pain - then it turned into sciatica. I went to my Chiropractor, who does not do traditional Chiropractic, but does reflexology (releasing the muscle so the bone will go back into place, instead of moving the bone so the muscle will release - kind of like massage). He put me on a 4 week treatment plan which got rid of the sciatica. I had my knee X-rayed by an orthopedic doctor and was told that I have arthritis in my knee cap and will now be going to physical therapy. If that does not produce results we will go on to plan "B". Sometimes it is a process.

It sounds like your mother needs to have several doctors check her out - everybody's situation is different and should be examined by experts.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've had this problem for a while.  I got cold belts from amazon which can be frozen or heated.  

Also, impress upon your mother to end hot showers.  Hot water beating down on the area feels good at the moment, but it increases inflamation.

I take meloxicam for inflamation.

Honored Contributor

Thanks every one ,i did get her to call a chiropractor yesterday ,we will see if she goes, has a appointment with a pain doctor the 13 th.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We bought a memory foam mattress 13 years ago.  Sciatica magically disappeared.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I've had this problem for a while.  I got cold belts from amazon which can be frozen or heated.  

Also, impress upon your mother to end hot showers.  Hot water beating down on the area feels good at the moment, but it increases inflamation.

I take meloxicam for inflamation.

@ECBG 

I've had different doctors give different advice heat vs. cold.  Recently referred to osteopath doc for pain management ... asked him about conflicting advice and he said try both and do whatever works for me.  

Osteopath referred me to physical therapist who uses heat compresses after stretching and before machines. 

In the mornings - when I get up I soak and stretch in a hot sudsy Epsom salt bath for 20 minutes.  Heat and exercise /walking works best for me ... along with Tylenol (recommended by Osteopath.)