Honored Contributor

My DH also went for PT, then just did the exercises at home, the pain may linger for quite a while. 

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

My dh goes to the chiropractor for this and gets relief...maybe it could help your mom too.

Definitely right......I have it, and get much relief from a chiropractor. 

Honored Contributor

I've had severe and long-lasting sciatica pain several times in my life. I don't think there's one path to relief.  I did have x-rays way back in the early 1980's, so I know there are disk issues.  I've been able to get success with a combination of a great chiropractor and exercises most often, but we've also used acupuncture on occasion.  I've been fortunate not to have much trouble for about 3 years now, but I also know any morning I could not be able to move without severe pain.

I've known others who needed surgery to get relief and just like with my choice, some get excellent results and aome have to tweak the surgery even.   

Whatever path you choose -  finding a doctor/pracicioner you trust is vital.  My chiropractor and I are growing old together.  I have no idea what I'll do if she retires and my sciatica moves in again!

Super Contributor

I did have sciatia & hopefully won't have it again--I did have an MRI and after that what really helped is having an epedural--I had it in May & I have 2 say it very much helped--best wishes 2 ur Mom & I hope she gets relief-------------------Mary nj

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sciatica, pain relief

[ Edited ]
I had it about 10 years ago and I could hardly move.  It was very difficult and painful for me to even get to the bathroom and I had to hold on to something the entire way.  I tried chiropractor and acupuncture (they were both out-of-pocket) but neither helped me at all.  I have degenerative disc disease and also spinal stenosis.  My pain ran down my entire right side - down to my toes.  Mine required an MRI to see what was going on with my back.

The only thing that helped me was 6 weeks of physical therapy & occupational therapy and that did help it totally go away.  The pain  reversed up my foot & leg very slowly until it was totally gone.  In my case the doctor explained that the discs in my back are like an Oreo cookie and the "stuff" in the middle that pads the two dry cookies from coming in contact with each other is disintegrating.  This causes the dry bony discs to come in contact with each other and sometimes a nerve gets pinched between the two pieces of hard disc.  The nerve hurts and swells from the injury due to being pinched and the bigger it swells the more it stays wedged - getting pinched more.  When the nerve is pinched it sends out lots of pain messages.  It is a vicious cycle.  

Physical Therapy helped with exercises to strengthen my core, but the Occupational Therapy helped me the most.  It taught me not to bend so the nerve would stop being pinched and give it time for the swelling to go down and eventually return to normal and get free from being pinched.  It is much easier to say not to bend than it is to actually do it and so many times you don't even realize you are truly bending.  I had to change how I was doing things like sweeping, vacuuming, laundry, shave my legs, etc.  I also needed  to get a cross-body purse rather than one that I carried on my shoulder, elbow or in my hand - so the weight of my purse was better distributed to the core of my body.  Occupational Therapy taught me how to do all the daily chores without bending in a way that continued to pinch that nerve.  I didn't believe it at first when they explained it to me, but it was the only thing that worked for me.  Any time I get the slightest tingling that it is starting again I review my activities and adjust my approach.  It was the best 6 weeks of information.

I do not know if your mother has the same back issues I experience but I pass this information along with the hopes there is something beneficial in my story that might help in your search for a solution.  It is horrible pain so I sincerely hope you are able to find the help your mother needs - it will change the quality of her life when you do.  Bless you for being there for her!
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
New Contributor

I had this problem  also. Went to chiropractor  2 weeks every other day. Took aleve,slept in recliner  for 3 months. Was the best for me. ICE ICE!!!  And yes walking did help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

Unfortunately for me, I had Sciatica that was caused by having, 2(L-5/S-1)completely ruptured discs. My only solution was surgery, this however was in 1974. Same thing with my L-3 disc in about 2009. Completely ruptured, another, but much easier invasive surgery.

An MRI is one of the best procedures for finding the cause. I feel for your mother as Sciatica is a very painful thing to endure.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • >

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

DH had sciatica a couple of years ago. He had P. T. for 6 weeks & it went away.Doc told him if it comes back he will send him for another round of P. T.

@NicksmomESQ.  This was my experience also.  I had a one-time bout with sciatica, was referred to P.T., went for several. weeks and the sciatica went away.  Knocking on wood, I've never had trouble with it again.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest  When you say "pain shots," do you mean lumbar epidurals?  I felt relief 6 weeks after the second one.

Also, does her doc have her on any anti-inflammatory meds?  Inflammation may be adding to her pain.  Meloxicam helped me.

Fingers crossed for your Mom, and for you -- it's hard enough to care for an aging parent who lives close by, but harder still from far away. 

Esteemed Contributor

My sister-in-law who was in misery for months and actually walking with a cane is another one who was helped tremendously by an epidural shot. It's been about 6 weeks now and she's still feeling the relief it gave her.