Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@On It wrote:

@chickenbutt The melons seem especially good this season. We are eating 3 cantaloupes a week and 2-3 watermelons. I am supposed to eat fresh fruit for my eyes, but the acid in many of my favorites like cherries trigger my acid reflux. 

That's a drag. Smiley Sad  I, too, do have to be careful with how much acidic food/drink I consume but I try to really drink a lot of water along with anything acidic or sweet, etc, to dilute it down.

I have some pretty severe esophagus problems so that's a whole 'nother thing to deal with, as far as eating and drinking.   I mostly drink water (like 99.9% of all I drink) and even that sometimes gives me issues.

Does anybody else get what seems like air bubbles when they swallow sometimes?   Sometimes I get it right at the throat and sometimes it's down where the esophagus is.  The former isn't too bad but the latter can be really painful.  

This happens to me sometimes, where it's like something will "go down the wrong way," or scrape while it goes down your esophagus. I'm another reflux patient. 

It helps when I drink smaller amounts of liquids like water with my meals so that this doesn't happen as much.

Honored Contributor

I have Mrs Dash in every varierty they make, and there is a new one called Everything, that one is great, you can hardly tell the salt is missing. 

Trusted Contributor

My mother had high bp when I was growing up, so she never used salt in cooking. I don't even remember a salt shaker being put on the table. If we wanted salt, we would ask for it and she would give us the shaker. I don't remember ever missing salt. She was such a great cook she found ways to make delicious food without it. Both DH and I must watch our salt intake. Processed foods have tons of sodium, so the fresher we can eat, the less issue with salt. Lots of salads.  Sausage or bacon only once a week or so for breakfast. Have found Canadian bacon a great sub since it has far less sodium and if I lightly brown it a bit in the skillet, DH doesn't miss the other breakfast meats. Must have eggs, though. Eggs are one of the only foods I must have a bit of salt . I use sea salt...takes far less and still get the "salty" taste.

I too have found salt can trigger reflux....