Respected Contributor

Re: Safe and Best Anti-Depression Drugs

@Justholdingon wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

My doctor has suggested I try Lexapro for the bouts of depression I experience. I don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant. I've read horrible things about these drugs. I would really like to hear from those who have tried this drug and had good results. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not for the next, but, it would give me some idea of what I should do.   

My dr. tried me on prozac first and I had severe side effects from that (horrible nightmares, brain zaps and paralysis) and I  immediately reported them to my dr. who took me off. She then put me on cymbalta. I also had side effects from that (itching everywhere),so she took me off of that too. I'm now on lexapro with no side effects and I feel better. I was very afraid of trying another anti depressant as I had not had good luck with the other two, but my husband has noticed a change in my demeanor also. He says I seem more out going at times. I'm on a very low dose.

I do notice my libido has diminished more than ever though and I've heard anti depressants will do that. 

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. Just think ... if you don't like taking the lexapro, you don't have to continue, but, what have you got to lose?

I had great luck with Prozac and Amitriptaline (Elavil).  I'm no longer on Anti Depressants.  I do deep breathing and Headspace.com.  I have changed my life with deep breathing and meditation.  I'm not against anti depressants, but feel that these two things can help along with your meds.  

Respected Contributor

LET ME SPELL THIS OUT ONE MORE TIME-GO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CHOICE TO DECIDE WHAT DRUG IS RIGHT OR WRONG FOR YOU.

IF YOU HAVE A DOCTOR THAT BOWS TO YOUR  WISHES-FIND ANOTHER.

YOU MAY NOT NEED DRUGS AT ALL: YOU MAY N EED SUPPORTIVE COUNSELING.

If you are at the point where you think you need anti-depressants, let's think again.

You really need to weed this out with a licensed, Board Certified Physician-end of story.

I noticed-myself included- if you are in a state of feeling hopeless and wishing to harm yourself, get help.

We can all get depressed for various reasons-myself included. I have sought out help-and I received it in the form of my primary who gave me a referral: thankfully, insurance covered it.

Let's end this conversation here-totally-talk with your doctor and be honest.

Poodlepet2

PS: many doctors do give samples because drugs are incredibly expensive.  I have had more than a few load me up with samples because insurance was not covering it. A couple kept me "fed"- with cardiac drugs as a matter of fact.....but I hope you follow my suggestions first and take it from there.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

My doctor has suggested I try Lexapro for the bouts of depression I experience. I don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant. I've read horrible things about these drugs. I would really like to hear from those who have tried this drug and had good results. I know everyone is different and what works for one may not for the next, but, it would give me some idea of what I should do.   

do you like being depressed better?

I agree with the other poster here some on this board are very anti RX meds for whatever reason. 

Best to talk to your Dr about this and not rely Dr. Internet.

as for you you should do,  either take the meds or not but but your Dr. can help you figure that out, he probably has some samples to try

"....samples to try..."?  

Srsly?

Anti-depressants shouldn't be treated like aspirin. If a doctor threw me a couple of free packets of SSRI, wow....I would run, RUN, out of their office.  If they're that casual w/ this dangerous drug, I cringe what else is acceptable to them.  

OP: I agree w/ those upthread. Check w/ your doctor...but leave no stone unturned to handle this naturally.  Read, study, learn about depression.  Be TOTALLY educated before going to the doctor.   Know the differences between going through a difficult time vs serious mental condition.   I would assume the latter would be diagnosed by a doctor in mental health care & not a GP.  

Many criticize when I bring up Nutritional therapy, but when you're dealing w/ mood-altering drugs, food/drink has the same capacity.  During the extended times when I felt depressed/blue/off, it was married during the same time my diet wasn't good (fatty, meat/cheese/eggs).   Once I cleaned up my food source, it lifted the cloud. Those days are long gone. 

If you don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant, honor that feeling.  Exhaust every single natural therapy (including talking to a mental health professional) before taking something which chemically alters your mind.  Anti-depressants should be the very last resort.  Any doctor, any ethical doctor, would say that. 

@sidsmom wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

I agree with the other poster here some on this board are very anti RX meds for whatever reason. 

as for you you should do,  either take the meds or not but but your Dr. can help you figure that out, he probably has some samples to try

"....samples to try..."?  

Srsly?

Anti-depressants shouldn't be treated like aspirin. If a doctor threw me a couple of free packets of SSRI, wow....I would run, RUN, out of their office.  If they're that casual w/ this dangerous drug, I cringe what else is acceptable to them.  

OP: I agree w/ those upthread. Check w/ your doctor...but leave no stone unturned to handle this naturally.  Read, study, learn about depression.  Be TOTALLY educated before going to the doctor.   Know the differences between going through a difficult time vs serious mental condition.   I would assume the latter would be diagnosed by a doctor in mental health care & not a GP.  

Many criticize when I bring up Nutritional therapy, but when you're dealing w/ mood-altering drugs, food/drink has the same capacity.  During the extended times when I felt depressed/blue/off, it was married during the same time my diet wasn't good (fatty, meat/cheese/eggs).   Once I cleaned up my food source, it lifted the cloud. Those days are long gone. 

If you don't like the idea of taking an anti-depressant, honor that feeling.  Exhaust every single natural therapy (including talking to a mental health professional) before taking something which chemically alters your mind.  Anti-depressants should be the very last resort.  Any doctor, any ethical doctor, would say that. 

if your Dr. gave you samples of any drug provided by the manufacturer you would run of the office, for Diabetes or Heart Disease? 

Valued Contributor

I am not sure why doctors are using anti-depressant drugs so often...we all have difficult life experiences and coping is what life is.  Within two years I lost my mother, my husband, and sister and three of my dogs!  I had to sell my home.  Yes, there were tears and sadness but I would find ways to see the positives and reasons to smile.  All I am saying is do not rely on one doctor to prescribe a magic pill...get emotional support from other sources.  life is a problem and this is the test of it...he is the wisest who just makes the best of it.  

Valued Contributor

You've received some good advice - you've also received information on people's personal experiences.  This is YOUR experience.  Your doctor (with your help) will determine what's best for YOU.  Listen to your doctor, but express yourself if you have any reservations.  Your doctor is there to help you feel better!

My experience:  I've been on/off meds for years.  Sometimes I have been drug-free for a long time.  I have to admit, I felt proud of myself when I didn't have to be on them.  I know now that is wrong.  Taking meds to help yourself is not a weakness.  We are all different - I am 61 years old lost my mom, brother, cousin, brother in law, 2 sister in laws and two very close coworkers (worked with for 10 years side by side) - all in 5 years.  I also have a husband with Crohn's and we both have very high stress jobs.  Right now, I"m taking a few days off because my depression has returned.  With increased meds (I'm on 5 mg of Lexapro (very low dose) and I went up to 10.  I also have .25 xanax for those moments when I am extremely anxious.  I am also going to counseling.  For me, I don't think drugs alone are enough - counseling helps you get to the root of your depression and you will be surprised at how much it will help.  

Good luck and don't be afraid to express yourself.  And remember if you do take meds, don't beat yourself up - the goal is for you to feel better!  

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

My depression is always triggered by loss in my life. It began 17 years ago when I lost a young son to cancer. I tried a couple of anti-depressants back then, but they just didn't seem to help very much. The grief was overwhelming. I was beginning to get out of the fog when three years late, another blow struck - the sudden death of my mother and then soon to follow --- my dad. I do realize that these are loses we all expect and try to prepare ourselves for at some point in time.  

Now, I am looking at another loss - one some might think trivial compared to the other losses - but, not so for me. I have a little 15 year old dog that I know I will not have much longer - he is quickly declining. I got him 2 years after my son had died and he was the medicine I really needed. I can't imagine life without him. If you are a dog lover, you know what I am talking about. 

So, what I am saying here is that anti-depressants are not something I need all the time and certainly wouldn't want to be on all the time.

Moon gazer,  loss was what started  my serious depression also,my dad died at 61 ,in 1991, that was my first blow , then in 1998 my son died at 27, i never realized how low a person can get emotional until then. And my husband died in 2013 just turning 63, and we were losing our home, several pet loses included, so loss is really so hard.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

"....samples to try..."?  

Srsly?

if your Dr. gave you samples of any drug provided by the manufacturer you would run of the office, for Diabetes or Heart Disease? 

@jackthebear

1. I don't have diabetes or heart disease, so that would never happen.

2. If I DID have those conditions, I would have the common sense to refuse medication since diabetes & heart disease can be reverse with nutrition & lifestyle... but I'm guessing you probably already know that.

3. To give SSRI medication to a new patient 'to see if it works' reminds me of a street drug dealer giving the user a 'freebie' 1-2x to get them hooked for life.  

Regular Contributor

It drives me nuts when people say, "why take a pill, there is always a reason to smile or look for the positives!" well guess what, everyone is different. when people are clinically depressed they can't just smile or find the positives. there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression.  people can't help if they have a chemical imbalance that they were born with.  sorry if this post sounds snotty but this subject is close to my heart and something i have dealt with my entire life.

Honored Contributor

@Piperdellilah wrote:

" there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression."  

@Piperdellilah

I edited your post to emphasize your point.

I have been diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I have no intention of going off my medications. Also have no intention of ever quitting my regular consultations with my Psychiatrist. Those I see as the most important thing in my life. 

Without them, I probably would have no life so why risk it. Anyone that has been diagnosed and hospitalized with Clinical Depression, understands the importance of this, and realizing, they are in recovery and I personally feel, that will be for the rest of my life.

Most everyone will experience situational low points in their lives, but all of these do not necessarily fall under the mental definition or depression. True Clinical Depression, from my experience and that of my Psychiatrist, does not "come and go", or on meds and off meds.

I appreciate you clarifying to many that go through many terrible experiences in their lives, and that all of those hard times, are not necessarily Clinical Depression.

Thank you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Piperdellilah wrote:

It drives me nuts when people say, "why take a pill, there is always a reason to smile or look for the positives!" well guess what, everyone is different. when people are clinically depressed they can't just smile or find the positives. there is a difference between situational depression and clinical depression.  people can't help if they have a chemical imbalance that they were born with.  sorry if this post sounds snotty but this subject is close to my heart and something i have dealt with my entire life.

There are some ignorant posters on this forum. Not only do they have NO medical background yet they give dangerous  advice lacking humility and full of hubris..enough to state opinions having no facts to back their stupidity. I just think of it as a lot of white noise...just be aware.