Respected Contributor

Re: SURGERY FOR EXCESS ARM FAT

Hi hckynut. I would think that any woman who was unhappy with her appearance and didn't want surgery would explore all of her options. That was my reason for posting the information. I had stated earlier in this thread that it more than likely would not be a perfect result but maybe just a nice improvement. Also, Ultherapy is not a scam and has been around for quite awhile. My dermatologist offers this treatment and that is where I first heard about it. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 ILikeShade said:

Hi hckynut. I would think that any woman who was unhappy with her appearance and didn't want surgery would explore all of her options. That was my reason for posting the information. I had stated earlier in this thread that it more than likely would not be a perfect result but maybe just a nice improvement. Also, Ultherapy is not a scam and has been around for quite awhile. My dermatologist offers this treatment and that is where I first heard about it. Smile

I didn't think that it was permanent........that you had to continue usage, like Botox, etc.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Desertdi said:
On 6/16/2014 ILikeShade said:

I didn't think that it was permanent........that you had to continue usage, like Botox, etc.

I believe so too.

Respected Contributor

You might want to visit Dr. Oz's site. He has had several dermatologists on in the past who have done great things for sagging skin with new types of lasers. If I were considering a procedure to tighten loose skin, I would try lasers before doing anything so drastic as surgery. Good luck and may you make the best choice for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm reading through these threads for the first time.

Why won't exercise (strength training) help with the loose skin?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Because exersize tightens muscle, not loose skin. Liposuction is used to suction out excess fat but surgery is the only rememdy for loose skin.

Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I explained in detail in my first post in this thread(post #15)about this. If you are interested in a more detailed answer you might check that one out.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I get that the skin is loose and won't snap back. The fat underneath is gone, and hopefully won't return. Strength training will build the muscle to take up some of the space, therefore making the skin not so saggy.

I'm wondering why that won't work.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I get that the skin is loose and won't snap back. The fat underneath is gone, and hopefully won't return. Strength training will build the muscle to take up some of the space, therefore making the skin not so saggy.

This only helps if there is a very small amount of loose skin.

As some people age they develop a lot of loose skin on their arms. More than what can be helped by weight training. Weight training is important but it is not going to take care of large amounts of hanging, loose skin.

Also, when someone has been extremely overweight for a long time, then loses a lot there is often a large amount of loose skin & it is not really possible (for women) to build the amount of muscle to fill that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 HonnyBrown said:

It just doesn't happen. The shape/amount of muscle doesn't come close to the amount of loose skin remaining when one has lost a great deal of weight. This is the sort of situation that most people who have not been morbidly obese have difficulty comprehending. As a HEALTH condition, this morbid obesity and its concommitent problems) is much more complex than what is obvious to the eye. The "normal weight" mindset can be very different from that of the currently or formally morbidly obese.