Respected Contributor

Re: SURGERY FOR EXCESS ARM FAT

On 6/12/2014 willdob3 said:
On 6/12/2014 ILikeShade said:

Dermatologists have amazing tools these days and it might be advantageous to make an appointment and see what they have in the way of noninvasive procedures.

I don't know of any non-invasive way to remove skin. You pretty much need to cut it away. Sure wuld bee nice though.

They have devices that shrink skin. Sure wouldn't be perfect but maybe a nice improvement.

Super Contributor

My aunt had it done and the scars were horrible. We're very fair skinned and the scars were years old when I saw them, and each arm had a long purplish colored scar. Not a good trade off in my mind. I decided right then that I'd keep my bat wings.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Super Contributor

LOTS TO THINK ABOUT AND I THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND PICTURES (GOODSTUFF) . IF I EVER WIN THE LOTTERY I WOULD CONSIDER SPENDING THE MONEY AND HAVING IT DONE ALONG WITH A BOOB LIFT ! MY CHANCES OF WINNING THE LOTTERY ARE PROBABLY ZILCH SO THESE TWO THINGS WILL REMAIN ON MY BUCKET LIST !

THANKS AGAIN ALL !

Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone noticed that one of the plus size models has scars down the back of both of her upper arms when she turns around? It's very noticeable when she has shorter sleeves on. She has dark hair and I think her name is Maria. I've wondered if that's what it's from. My ""flappers"" are the bane of my existence and I once considered having it done but was too nervous about it and now I just never wear short sleeves or sleeveless. In fact the past 2 years the ""flappiness"" is extending to the lower portion of my arms so I limit my tops to 3/4 or full length. It's very limiting in choices of what to wear but it's either that or be self conscious about it every minute.

Respected Contributor

Dermatologists have amazing tools these days and it might be advantageous to make an appointment and see what they have in the way of noninvasive procedures.

I don't know of any non-invasive way to remove skin. You pretty much need to cut it away. Sure wuld bee nice though.

They have devices that shrink skin. Sure wouldn't be perfect but maybe a nice improvement.

Dermatologists don't do this type of surgery! Malpractice if they do.

Respected Contributor

On 6/13/2014 Skylands said:

I'm talking about noninvasive procedures that shrink and tighten the skin.

Esteemed Contributor

First, congrats, Nana, for your weight loss!

Not to scare you, but this is serious surgery. We know a woman (in her 40s) who had it done and she developed a terrible infection and almost lost her life.

I think you are doing the right thing in evaluating your options before you make a decision.

Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 6/13/2014 Skylands said:

I'm talking about noninvasive procedures that shrink and tighten the skin.

Like head shrinking pygmies with blow guns???????
Frequent Contributor

Had it done. Two years ago.

Insurance paid 100%.

Results are great. Long scar but worth it. My wings were horrible after losing 160 pounds.

Painful for a while but no regrets, ever!

Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 mikki_g said:

Had it done. Two years ago.

Insurance paid 100%.

Results are great. Long scar but worth it. My wings were horrible after losing 160 pounds.

Painful for a while but no regrets, ever!

I had a roommate in the hospital who had it done, she said it was rather painful...more painful than the Roux En Y that got her there.... How was the recovery?