Super Contributor

IM IN MY EARLY 70S AND HAVE THE EXCESS SKIN/FAT HANGING ON MY UPPER ARMS WHEN I HOLD OUT MY ARMS. IT REALLY BOTHERS ME AND I MAKE IT A POINT NOT TO WEAR SHORT SLEEVES OR SLEEVELESS CLOTHES BECAUSE OF IT. WHAT I WOULDNT GIVE TO BE ABLE TO WEAR SLEEVLESS DRESSES OR TOPS IN THE HOT SUMMER MONTHS ! DO ANY OF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW OF ANYONE THAT MAY HAVE HAD THIS SURGERY DONE? IM JUST WONDERING IF ITS WORTH THE EXPENSE .

Respected Contributor

Re: SURGERY FOR EXCESS ARM FAT

A friend of mine did it years ago and loved it. It cost her about 8 Grand then about 10 years ago. She has since gained weight again and her arms have gotten bigger due to weight gain. So you have to maintain your weight for it to really make a diff. Good luck to you.

Respected Contributor

Seriously, surgery? Surgery is risky and being your age I wouldn't entertain this. Spend your $$$ by getting a trainer or advise and enjoy your life.

I agree with above, the fat will come back unless you watch your diet and exercise.

Super Contributor

I MIGHT ADD THAT A SUBSTANTIAL WEIGHT LOSS IS WHAT CAUSED THE EXCESS SKIN TO HANG ON MY ARMS. NO AMOUNT OF WEIGHT TRAINING CAN DO ANYTHING FOR IT. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED SURGICALLY.

Super Contributor

I am 65 and if it bothered my that much, I would do it. Talk to your doctor first, but fixing up hanging skin and attached fat is very doable in this day and age I would think.
Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2014 NanaS said:

I MIGHT ADD THAT A SUBSTANTIAL WEIGHT LOSS IS WHAT CAUSED THE EXCESS SKIN TO HANG ON MY ARMS. NO AMOUNT OF WEIGHT TRAINING CAN DO ANYTHING FOR IT. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED SURGICALLY.

Yes, I understand this can be one of the side effects of losing lots of weight. Still, surgery is risky and life is short. No harm getting consults from several board certified plastic surgeons. Don't fall anyone less or someone who touts cheapest price. This is your life. Best to you.

Trusted Contributor

I used to work as a medical assistant for a surgeon who (among many other kinds of surgery) performed weight loss surgery -- so I've seen lots of patients who have lost significant amounts of weight and developed significant loose, hanging skin on the upper arms, tummy, and elsewhere. Exercise and "toning" won't fix this; basically, they had lost a lot of the underlying fatty tissue and their skin became a few sizes too big. Especially when you're a bit older, it doesn't have the elasticity of younger skin, and it droops and hangs rather than "snapping back". This is something I almost always noticed when mature women had WLS. They lost weight and were happy about the health benefits, but they often looked instantly older because their faces and bodies "fell" with the dramatic weight loss. The truth.......and having cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin and firm up your whole body is no small undertaking, financially or medically.

Surgery to remove excess skin is no fun. It is painful, leaves scars, and can lead to infections and other complications that one risks with plastic surgery. As with any surgery, the risks are higher for older patients. This kind of surgery is expensive and often not covered by insurance. However, some people find it worthwhile to lose the "wings" of loose skin that they found unattractive and bothersome, and results can be pretty good if you have a good surgeon. If you're interested, you might research excellent plastic surgeons in your area and go in for an consultation just to find out what can be done, what it costs, what's involved -- and if they'd consider you as a candidate.

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends partly on your overall health & any related risks of having surgery. It is a fairly extensive surgery and might not be something that someone who is in their 70's should undertake unless you are in top health. If you really want to do it, I would get an opinion from your regular doctor too not just the plastic surgeon.

Super Contributor

GOODSTUFF..... Thank you for your remarks. Lots to consider and I value everyones opinion.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Scotnovel said:

I think it depends partly on your overall health & any related risks of having surgery. It is a fairly extensive surgery and might not be something that someone who is in their 70's should undertake unless you are in top health. If you really want to do it, I would get an opinion from your regular doctor too not just the plastic surgeon.

Correct. Just about any good plastic surgeon (or other surgeon) will require older patients to get medical clearance before having any kind of significant elective surgery. Often this includes general health clearance from one's primary care doctor plus cardiac clearance from a cardiologist -- and perhaps other clearances for those with other health issues.